Another 1GB RAM really helped PB

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Heb1228, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I had 1GB RAM installed on my PB for the 2 years I've owned it and always wondered how much difference it would make to max out the memory up to 2GB.

It's made a huge difference! Before, I would frequently have >100 MB of memory free with 5 or 6 applications open and got spinning beachballs all the time. But now, I barely ever get them. Changing tabs on Safari is almost instantaneous, even when 3 or 4 other pages are loading at the same time in different tabs.

Just thought if anyone was wondering the same thing I'd let you know, it does make a huge difference!

2. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Good post- proves you can't go wrong with some more RAM! :D

Hoping to install another 2GB of RAM into my Power Mac G5 (for a total of 3GB) soon.

3. Heb1228 thread starter macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Yeah, from this experience, I bet another 2GB in your Powermac will bring a lot of new life to it.

I'm sure there's a point of diminishing returns when adding memory, but I sure didn't hit that point going from 1GB to 2.

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Guess that I will have to head to crucial.com soon. :)

Actually, I am debating about whether I should add more RAM (2GB) or upgrade to a better video card ( ATI Radeon 9800 SE or nVVIDA 6800 Ultra or ATI Radeon X800 XT). Eventually, I want to do both- but one thing at a time. :)

5. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Just plugged another GB (Crucial) in my Power Mac to bring it up to 2GB. Seems pretty snappy so far. My X800 XT should be here tomorrow :D

6. Heb1228 thread starter macrumors 68020

Heb1228

RAM will probably help video performance out some, plus speed everything else up. I think I'd do that first and wait for the video cards to come down in price some. Unless you play games, then I think its a toss up. :D

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

ooh, trying not to be jealous.... :D ;)

If you don't like your X800 XT i'll take it
    off your hands- heck i'll pay the S&H. ;)

Seriously, let me know how your upgrade works out (ie- do you notice any difference).

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Well, I do play games. But now that college has started up again (sophomore year) I tend not to have a lot of time for that. So perhaps I will upgrade my RAM first.

I would really like to buy one of the ATI Radeon X850 XT's when they are available via third party vendors (ie- newegg.com, owc.com, etc...). But in the mean time, I guess i'll up my RAM first.

9. ajampam macrumors regular

ajampam

great to hear this...I am just waiting for my paycheck to go through....and then HULLOOO to crucial....will add 1GB more....max out my lil 12er... :cool: :D

10. Heb1228 thread starter macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Wish me luck, I'm about to break open this PB for the first time to install this new hard drive (the one in my sig). HOPEFULLY, I'll see you guys again in an hour or so...

11. Heb1228 thread starter macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Thank you, thank you folks! The new HD is installed and working wonderfully!

I am proud of myself for my first PB upgrade, it seems to have gone successfully! My PB booted in about half the time it normally takes.

I took the 80GB drive that came in it and replaced it with a 120GB 5400 RPM Seagate drive. Initially it seems to have given about a 10-15% speed boost on launching apps and stuff. Its a little but louder than the Hitachi drive that came in it (as in I can barely hear this one, couldn't hear the other one at all) and I pretty much expected it to be a little louder than the stock HD. But I'm happy with it so far. (Almost) like having a new PB :)

12. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I think Tiger has a sweet spot of 1.5GB of RAM.

13. cjc343 macrumors 6502

I upgraded my PB from 512MB to 1.25GB of RAM a few weeks ago. It really helped with the whole 'running 13 applications constantly' thing.

14. joshwest macrumors 65816

joshwest

im about to throw a gig in my imac make it 1.5 gigs ( would it be beneificial just to make it 2gbs??, cost a bit more? ).., throw a 1 gig in my ibook to make it 1.5 gig, and my powerbook is gonna..be 2gb when ordered..

15. ChoMomma macrumors 6502

ChoMomma

After I won my Powerbook 1.5ghz at the Apple store Tiger event, I ordered a 1gig stick from OWC. I made a huge different when trying to run the cs2 suite and the mx 2004 studio at the same time. Also helped with my 3000+ picture iPhoto library.

16. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I upgraded from 256 to 1.25gb. Loved it. But I payed a bit much. For movie editing and gaames, am I getting maximum performence or do I need more ram?

17. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

hey ajam how much did ya pay??

18. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

Thanks for sharing, especially I do, considering that I have the same computer as you do (well before the RAM and HD upgrade)
    Now I know that it is worth for me to upgrade my PowerBaby :)
    When it comes to HD, I am gone hold of to the once with perpendicular write technology and gone get my self one of them in 160GB or 200GB capacity at 5400RPM which should much faster from my 4200RPM drive, plus they will also be denser.

Thanks again, now I know where my next paycheck goes.

I smell RAM :D

19. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

One more thing.

Have you upgraded your HD yourself or did you have someone (professional) else do it?

20. mvamato macrumors newbie

Great Ram

I just bought 2 gb 1 for my powerbook and 1 for a friends. It made a huge difference. I am now running 1.5 gig of ram. It is a whole new computer. I got it from Approved Memory. They have a ebay store and a retail location. You can order from ebay or directly from them over the phone and it is usally $4-$5 cheaper. They ship fast and it was the same Samsung ram. All is well after 3 weeks.

I told the guy Dave that I would post here because they test all there ram and stand behind it. No Questions!
    I delt with Dave Reed at (949) 305-6530 or email him at dreed@approvedmemory.com he took good care of me. I paid $140 for 1 gb stick of Samsung ram for my 1.5ghz powerbook

I am not assosiated with them. I just thought I would let you guys know about a good deal. It is hard to find a good deal and know your getting a good product. :)

21. 50thVert macrumors regular

Im running 2.5GB of ram in my dual 2.5 PM. Wonderfully fast. So far this is as far as ive gotten without any lag or beachballing:

-Surfing in Safari, 3 tabs open
    -Chatting on Adium
    -Importing DV video into Final Cut Pro HD 4.5
    -Toying with an image in Photoshop CS2
    -Imaging a DVD with DVD Imager
    -Ripping a DVD with MactheRipper
    -Playing MP3s with iTunes

mind you everything was significantly slower than normal, but she never bogged or gave me a beachball. :)
    The more RAM the better!

22. Heb1228 thread starter macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I did it myself with the help of an illustrated how-to guide form pbfixit.com.

I was a little nervous, having only worked on desktop PCs before I switched. I never really cared if I messed those up, parts were cheap, but luckily I never did.

But getting into the Powerbook wasn't too tough, a lot of screws. It makes you appreciate the engineering marvel this thing is. And like I said, I didn't have any issues with doing it really.

23. Heb1228 thread starter macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I think you're doing pretty good right now, but if you see another 512 or 1GB for a good price it would help out some. I'm guessing that going much over 2GB, you see less and less performance increase.

With 2GB, I'm getting hardly any pageins/pageouts even pushing the machine a fair amount today

24. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I know about pbfixit.com they have really good step-by-step instructions.
    Now knowing that you have done it your self, it gives me little more confidence on dong it my self too.

Thanks.

25. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

I just went from 512 to 1.25 in my Powerbook, and all I can say is "wow". I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner! huge difference, and I stand behind all the people that say that 512 isn't enough RAM any more ;)

~Earendil