Another aMSN thread (possible firewall trouble?)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iEugene, May 26, 2006.

1. iEugene macrumors regular

Apr 18, 2006
    Hey everyone. So today I finally broke down and downloaded aMSN for my Intel iMac. I heard from other members that you can use the iSight (in my case, the built in one) with PC users using MSN Messneger. I couldn't get this to work.

I attempted to do this with a friend who is using the newest version of MSN Messenger (at least, I believe so). At first I invited him into the Webcam chat. He said that it was loading...eventually it timed out. So he invited me, before I even had the chance to say "Accept or Decline" in his window it said I had instantly declined it. So I couldn't even accept it to begin with.

I went to their FAQ and it said something about "possible Firewall, problem not yet fixed, is being worked on." So I flipped around the windows in the actual aMSN messenger client and got to webcam and it comes up with a box saying "You are firewalled or behind a router" in red letters.

I really just want to get this over with and know that I have the abilty to use the iSight with MSN users. I've been hearing this problem for months since before I got my iMac and hoped that I could download a program and just go around it....Mecury Messenger is horrible for webcams and takes a picture about once everyone one second (plus the screen is completely blue overtoned) and I have heard bad reviews with Adium.

The sounds of it make it sound like it's some firewall...I know nothing about firewalls other than when I had a PC they normally kept me from doing a lot of things, I don't know how to turn them on or off (if that's possible) or anything!

Attached Files:

2. mario787 macrumors newbie

Jun 7, 2006
    I'm having the exact same problem and I haven't been able to find any solutions in any of the forums I have visited. Let me know if you found a solution. Thanks. Mario