Another Basilisk Question. (Making Boot Drive)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GimmeSlack12, Jul 5, 2006.

1. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Alright,
    I have my System 7 install disks.
    I have my ROM files all set.
    I have Basilisk booting up with the install disk.

But I cannot make a Disk image that will be recognized for me to install onto. I have used Disk Utility (OS X), and that makes a .dmg for me. But it won't work!

I need some help on this one please. I am dying for a dose of nostalgia!

2. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Alright I figured it out!

I used Disk Copy through Classic OS and made an image. Now I'm installing! I am quite happy now.

If anyone has anything to add about Basilisk though I'm all ears. Or Resources of Classic Mac stuff would be great!

3. ahunter3 macrumors 6502

The Info-Mac Archives

Badly maintained (the internal search engine is busted) but a great repository of freeware, shareware, and patches from the era of operating systems that you can run under Basilisk.

4. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Thanks for that link aHunter.

Ok I do have another problem. How do I get the emulator to work in 16-colors? I mean, I know how to switch the monitors control panel. But the screen goes blank (anything less than Thousands doesn't work).

5. ahunter3 macrumors 6502

Which version of Basilisk II are you using? The X11 environment version as compiled in Fink (or DarwinPorts)? The Aqua version? Something else?

I don't recall having a color problem with the X11 version, or at least not as you've described (i.e., blank screen).

6. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I'm using the Aqua Version 16 w/ Sound.

I would like to try out the X11 Version. Is that the same as the Linux build of Basilisk? I think I might make a tutorial site on exactly what must be done to get Basilisk running on OS X, cause a lot of sites out there that I searched have a lot of questions and few answers for Macs (a lot of PC support sites).

I'll take a look at the X11 version tonight I suppose. A link would be awesome if it is not the Linux version (aHunter).

7. ahunter3 macrumors 6502

I just used Fink / Fink Commander and compiled it from the source code.

8. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You mind walking me through that? I have compiled stuff only on Windows, and am ashamed to say, I have no idea where to begin with compiling source code on Mac.

(although I bet it isn't too hard).

9. ahunter3 macrumors 6502

It's not, and the phrase "compiled it from source code" is misleading. Fink does all the heavy lifting. You need the X11 environment installed (it's on the install CD as an optional install); you download and install both Fink and Fink Commander, then you select "Basilisk II" from the list of available sourcecodes and you select the menu command "Run in Terminal > Installl" from the "Source" menu.

Then you pop open a beer and watch screen after screen of command-line text scroll by, 99.9999% of it with no input needed from you at all. (Every rare now and then you will need to pick one or another of available options or give your OK to installing referenced packages as part of the process).

10. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Perfect. I love Beer!

Yeah, that all is no problem, and I have X11 already installed from all the hours spent MatLab-ing. I'll give it a go and let ya know.

BTW I have several Versions of Mac OS if you are interested (aHunter).

11. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Alright, well I got it running through X11, but I find that the preferences are exactly what I have had setup in the Aqua version. One step more is that the monitor can only be set to Millions of colors now, and there is no sound.

This makes me just want to use the v.16 w/Sound still, unless you know something I don't. I'm using the v.0.9 Source file for PPC.

As for Fink Commander I can only run the program after installing and then Opening Package Contents, and finding the Basilisk in the ~/sw/bin/basilisk directory. This all sound right aHunter?
    Thanks for the help BTW.

(Oh and if you know how to setup the ethernet that would be cool too).