Another cellphone thread

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jasonbot, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

My stepdad needs a new cellphone.

He's a high priority businessman who had a Nokia 9300, he didn't like it because the interface was weird and sending an email was just hell. He also doesn't wnat the bulk of a smartphone, infact he said that email/internet isn't a priority for the purpose of the phone. Just something basic but something that can be taken seriously in the business world.

I was looking at the nokia E series, that seemed good but any other suggestions?

Oh and NO IPHONE SUGGESTIONS, please :D

2. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

I got the Nokia E70 in December -

[​IMG]

Prior to this, I had the 6822 for a year and the 6820 for a year before that -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I loved the keyboard on the 6820 and became very dependent upon it for texting, hence sticking with this line for so long.

The E70 was much larger and heavier than the 6822. Far superior screen and keyboard, though. But the software is buggy and slow. It doesn't have enough memory to access the internet without crashing. Opening the phone to use the keyboard freezes the phone for up to 15 seconds - it's instant on the 682x.

I wouldn't recommend it until the bugs are fixed.

I sold mine on eBay after a month, for £230. Back to using the 6822, which is a great phone.

3. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Those may be good phones, and don't get me wrong, I love Nokia, I have an 8801. But I wouldn't take anyone seriously in the business world who opened up one of those things. Functionally they may be great, but aesthetically it doesn't look like a businessman's phone.

4. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

I wonder what a "businessman's phone" looks like.

5. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Personally I don't care for the smartphones. I'm not big into the width or the keyboards. I think the iPhone looks great but because of the touchscreen and I'll be interested to see how the touch keyboard really works, though it won't be a major factor for me since the primary function is a phone, music, video and limited internet. I wouldn't do much in the way of emails or texting. I also don't care for flip phones, I have always been a candy bar form factor guy. Had a Nokia 6250? (I think, back in '99), then a Nokia 3320 (blue cover), then a Sony Ericsson T610, and now a Nokia 8801. I also don't like how the newer phones are so light they feel so cheap. People remark that my phone is heavy, but I love the weight of it. It is stainless steel and while not heavy, makes you feel like it is well made, not flimsy like all the Motos. Since I put it in my pocket and don't use the belt clip cases, size is also an issue. But mostly the interface. And Nokia blow Moto out of the water. I don't know who you are, what you do, but the phones you showed look more for texting than internet or email, at least that's how they look, and texting makes me think of kids, and young 20somethings, not business people.

6. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

So, The question on everyone's mind: What does a businessman's phone look like? I have no idea but if you saw someone in a meeting take out some phone playing the latest mp3 ringtone with its bubbly slidy flippy form factor - Thats not a businesman's phone!

7. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

I had a 6820 which I loved. Very nice phone. I think it has a "business-y" look to it.

The E70 is definitely email-oriented. A lot of email/push/etc functions. The 682x has them too, but a small screen.

I'd love a 7110 again, but updated with high resolution colour, no aerial sticking out the top, slightly larger keypad...

8. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

What phone is that?

9. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Nokia 8801
    Email, bluetooth, internet. Not smartphone style, but enough to get you by.

[​IMG]

10. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

And btw, Nokia went to BMW or Benz, I forget which to have them make the bearings for the slider. It really moves well. Had mine for over since Nov 2005 and it still looks brand new and works great.