Another Classic on Tiger question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacFan26, Dec 24, 2005.

1. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

I have the Classic preference pane on my new powerbook with Tiger installed. I have two OS 9 System Folders that the pref pane recognizes as startup disks. When I click start however, or try to open a classic app, the window comes up that says "Classic is starting" but the bar does not progress. It just sits there. Anyone have any suggestions? I need my Classic :(

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Can you make any more progress if you try turning off extensions under the Advanced tab?

3. MacFan26 thread starter macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Nope, that didn't work either. Although I know it's at least doing something as TruBlueEnv shows up as a process and is using quite a bit of the processor.

4. homeshire macrumors regular

don't know if this will help, but i just copied the system folder from the os9 install cd onto my desktop this morning. then i had the same issue. classic said it had problems of one sort or another with the fact that it was copied and not installed. it would offer to restart, and after clicking on restart, it would say it was starting up, but in reality it just sat there doing nothing. just like you. jumped through some hoops to throw that system folder into the trash.

then i did a proper install of os9 after booting from the cd. after that, i have os9 to boot from and the classic environment back.
    hope this helps.

5. MacFan26 thread starter macrumors 65816

MacFan26

I tried copying the system folder to an ibook today off of an install cd that came with the ibook and it worked without that "copied and not installed" message. I know what you're talking about though. However, I don't think I can do a proper install because my powerbook won't boot up in 9, doesn't that also mean I can't startup from an OS 9 disk? So unfortunately, I've had no luck so far.