[Another College Thread] Help me out with 34 free elective credits!

Discussion in 'Community' started by ravenvii, Jan 20, 2005.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I am majoring in Philosophy, and plan to go to law school after I graduate.

With the major I get a requirement of 34 free elective credits. That means I can do whatever I want with it - randomly pick classes I enjoy, or get a minor. I was thinking of going for a minor in Government. But the first class I'm taking this semester, American Government 101, well, is horrible. I hate it. I don't think I want to suffer this crap for 17 more credits to complete the requirement for the minor.

My other considerations are sociology, criminology, psychology, history or religion. Or, well, the above mentioned "random classes" route. What do you guys suggest I do? I'm not sure what field of law I want to go into, but I think I'll avoid the court-heavy ones.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

2. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

Personly I say go with math minor. Math is easy and fun :D (ok so I am an engineering major and after this semster I be 3 hours shy of my minor)

3. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

Depending on what type of law you would like to eventually practice you could find something in that field, otherwise I would just say enjoy yourself. A minor isn't going to be a big deal on your resume, take classes you'll enjoy and have a good time. Once you get to law school you're going to be stuck taking a bunch of not so fun classes, you might as well have fun while you can :)

allison.

p.s. - I graduated in June and am missing school badly!! Appreciate it while you're there :)

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If you are planning on going to law school, and possibly opening up your own practice some day -- a minor in business might be helpful.

At the very least accounting 101.

5. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Sociology - explains how society works
    Cultural Anthropology - explains how cultures and society arose and the things that shape society today, deal with legal matters and possible future legal and ethical matters.
    Primate Behavior or Great Ape societies - interesting to take and gives you different way on human behavior and society
    Population Ecology - how everything is connected and human keep messing it up, lots of legal and political issues as well as ethical.
    Psychology - learn how to mess with peoples heads. : ) and how to read and manipulate human behavior.
    Religion - take a survey course in world religion , expand you mind and maybe help you deal with people from other cultures and prevent you from accidentaly insulting them.
    Geography - helps to know where in the world things are happening and why. particulary urban geo, how communities work.
    Math and Stats - are ALWAYS helpful in life, to know how numbers can be manipulated helps you see the real story.
    Communications - how the media works and how it can be manipulated.
    Criminology - hard to do need to be strong in critical thinking, logic and Stats.

OK hope that helps somewhat.

6. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

Astronomy wouldnt be too bad of a minor if they offer it ;-)

Math is good too, the other ones, I dunno they seem rather boring, but a history minor, sociology minor, or psychology minor would most likely help out a bit considering you are a philosophy major.

Me personally, I am a physics major and I am getting a dual minor in International Relations and Astronomy. I will be getting my bachelors within 3 years hopefully if everything keeps on going the way it is :-D

7. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I did credits in Cultural Anthropology and Forensic Medicine while at Uni. Criminology was part of my degree too. All were interesting in very different ways but not a huge amount of use in real life when I decided not to go into law after all.

I'd suggest either doing something that you're fascinated by - a period of history, an aspect of psychology etc - or something that will prove useful in the future.

I'd agree with the above suggestion that a minor in business studies might be interesting and very useful. In addition to helping you with planning and administering your own business, it's likely to help you in your conversations with clients and understanding their needs.

8. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

with that many leftover credits you could even get a major :rolleyes:

i suggest accounting for you

9. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

take pre law classes for those units

why? because while my BA was heavily sprinkled with labor and employment law, there are tons of gaps in my general legal knowledge concerning criminal law, probate, tax law, evidence, copyright, etc...

i am going to start online law classes in june for law school and i have started reading up on contracts, torts, and constitutional law since going into law school cold with no previous knowledge is probably why up to 30 percent of first year law students drop out

so get a good head start

i am not sure all law schools have the same approach but the online school i am going to go to has a lot of adult students in their 30s and many who have already been in law as a paralegal or legal secretary, or may have even had a year or two of law school under their belt, so the pace of the school, at least from what i saw from the entrance exam, is fit for people who have a strong foundation in what the law is all about

after seeing my first cryptic law texts, i can see why people who plan to go to law school get their BA in pre-legal studies...if i knew how intense this subject was ahead of time, i would have gone for a BA in pre-legal studies

so arm yourself with as much law as you can get your hands on and don't be a casualty...i hope this helps