Another convert

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ivoc, Jun 15, 2005.

1. ivoc macrumors newbie

Hello to all.

Decided to post after lurking here a few weeks prior to purchasing something I thought I would never want... a Mac.

I have been a hardcore PC guy since my first system, never even looked in Apple's direction until I started to learn about Tiger. This lead me to take the plunge and buy a new iMac.

First off, I don't dislike XP, I don't get viruses or have spyware and I love building my own systems.

What attracted me to OSX was the elegance of the UI and many of the "under the hood" features that I have been reading about. I also think the sheer entertainment value of learning new stuff played a big role as well.

I am also excited for the future with the Intel move. There are a great deal of possibilities for Apple that will hopefully enable them to significantly boost some market share in the coming years (competition=good).

Some initial impressions on the Imac:

Fan noise is not an issue, my windows box drowns out any noise the Imac makes (120mm fans will do that).

The screen is great, one dead pixel in the lower corner which I can live with.

Oddly enough, I like the one button mouse considering that I always thought "what good is one button?"

I am extremely impressed with the design and small footprint of the machine.

The only negative for me is the vidcard, a 9600? meh. I wish Apple gave more BTO options... a Go 6800 would be nice and well worth the extra cash, maybe in the future.

Well time to learn how to work on this machine, it is confusing for right now :)

Thanks for all the fine posts here in helping us Mac newbies make a buying decision easy.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Glad to hear you switched. Welcome to the community. :)

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Welcome aboard. It will be a little confusing at first but you'll soon find your way around – and of course if anything does leave you stumped you know where to come and ask! ;)