Another convert

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by chmorley, Jun 24, 2002.

1. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

A friend of mine (a faithful PC user) owns a company that makes labels. For years, he has taken the orders, designed the labels, and outsourced the printing to another company. After finally getting frustrated with the troubles that go along with relyin on someone other than yourself to get a damn thing right, he decided to buy his own printing equipment and do it all in-house.

Now, he knew that this meant he was going to have to buy a Mac, but he didn't know it might change his life.

At first, he was a bit reluctant to take the leap. He began by looking at used computers. I offered to loan him my PowerMac 7500 (upgraded to 220 Mhz G3), but pushed him towards a new computer. He was amazed that a computer that old had digital audio and video in/out. He said, "You know, Macs are just amazing. They come with all this stuff built-in." Yesterday, he went to CompUSA planning to buy the entry-level iMac. He walked away with the 700 Mhz eMac.

Last night, he called me and said, "I just got home after setting up my new Mac. I plugged it in, started it up, and was on the internet in about 2 minutes. This thing is so easy. You know, I think I'm going to become a Mac guy out of all of this."

Granted, he is just getting started, but he can't believe how easy the switch is. He has known all along that he will have to buy a PowerMac in the fall, but I think he's actually looking forward to it.

He is 36 years old, but is being influenced by Apple's new ad campaign--which he loved even before buying his eMac.

If Apple can continue to sway people, one at a time, they may indeed double their market share before too long. That would be something.

Chris

2. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Hey

Well Done!

The more we convert the better!

COME ON PC PEOPLE, TASTE THE SWEET WORLD OF THE APPLE MAC!

Ok, maybe I didn't need to say it like that :)

Ensign

3. King Cobra macrumors 603

Unless you are talking about the fruity flavored iMacs, speak for yourself! :D

And, yeah, just like the Caltrate advertisement states: "It's never too late to [switch bait]." :cool:

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

He delt with the rest, now he has the best... OS that is :D

OS X beats all comers... no contest. The latest Mac OS's (9.2.2 and 10.1.5) are so many times better then anything microsofterthanasneakerfullofpuppysheit has to offer... :D

5. King Cobra macrumors 603

OS X is way better than any OS I know of. Even I couldn't take OS 9 on some days, since I got so many wierd f!!ked up errors. And how ugly.

BTW, Alpha, I didn't see that word in Webster's. You may need to write to them about it. :cool:

6. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

please elaborate~

Why did you know or think that he was going to have to go to mac?

Did he think this because of the ads?

What was it about the ads that prompted his change or switch?

Does he use all pcheeses at his business for other tasks?

I want to know more of his reasonings.

7. chmorley thread starter macrumors 6502a

chmorley

Re: please elaborate~

Surely.

He knew that he was going to have to switch to a Mac because it is the standard in digital printing. The critical apps he needs are better (or only exist) on the Mac, and the layout folks he works with are all on Macs. While he could have tried to buck the system and work on a PC, he knew that this would make his life much more difficult.

It wasn't the ads that prompted the switch. It was the new equipment and business needs. He found that the ads were persuasive, though, and made him look forward to the change. It's not fair to say that they prompted him to buy a Mac. It is fair to say that they are influencing him to become a full-time Mac guy.

He uses PCs for everything else. Specifically, he has a DOS-based Visual FoxPro database program that he wrote that is the centerpiece of everything. I have tried to persuade him that changing makes sense, but with over 2 million records in it, he isn't willing to take a chance. It is the centerpiece of his business. He looked at other options, but they were all considerably slower with databases of this size. I will not try again to persuade him to change.

My belief is, this Mac thing is a bacterial infection. Exposure is the big challenge. However, once someone is sufficiently exposed, they become infected. For my friend, he resisted exposure for years. I decided I would lay off and simply let him envy my TiBook and AirPort network at home, believing they were irrelevant to his business needs. Now that his business has necessitated buying a Mac, he is infected.

While it may take some time before he finds PCs repulsive, it will happen. He already likes OS X more than XP. He was raving about XP's stability as recently as last month. He's gonna love OS X.

Chris

8. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: Re: please elaborate~

Has he checked to see about bringing his database into FileMaker Pro??? That way he could completely dump the pc. :D IF he can export his database into tab (or coma) seperated excel sheets, it can be brought into FMP. :D

9. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

Thats all nice,but when will they start opening Apple Stores in europe?

10. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

When they get around to it... I believe that some are going to be opening up in England...

As for other countries... as long as there are no battles/wars going on, I'm sure it will happen. Also, I don't think they will open up stores in countries without stable economies. As well as ones where there are enough people to keep the store open.

Remember, even McDonalds didn't go global overnight, or even in the first few years it was around. Don't expect Apple to open stores everywhere all at once.

11. chmorley thread starter macrumors 6502a

chmorley

Re: Re: Re: please elaborate~

Yes, it was actually the first suggestion I made (about 5 years ago). It would be easy to export the database to a tab- or comma-delimited text file. It's not just the database, though, it's all the stuff he wrote for it. There are apparently a number of routines he runs on the database regularly. Given that he is busy running his business, learning a new database app and learning how to write scripts isn't at the top of his list right now.

Maybe someday...

Chris

12. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

ok,i get it all..but wars? what freakin wars?
    it would be nice if they might eventually open it in italy,austria or hungary,but i think they're gonna open it in france first..well,who knows..

13. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

i know at least 3 people that were considering buying a mac,unfortunately,they were too expensive

14. nicos macrumors newbie

:D :D :D
    I had to laugh about that one!!!!!!!! We certainly all think that Apple is such a lovely oh so lovely company. But I am sure they know a little bit of geopolitics. Why, some countries around here have had no war (at least on their own territories) for almost 60 years now! Even the resounding yet shortlived score of Le Pen in France, as loathful as he is, has had no impact on any commercial strategies of any international company... Have a look on Yahoo Financials, the Euro, a new currency is catching up with the $....

Hey man, but Apple already is global! There's apple internet sites in a few hundred languages, Apple commercial representation everywhere, even keyboards are not all american! And that is despite the metric system! Don't forget... we don't care about no quarterpounders around here... but LeBigMac, that something else.....

Just a little link, ladden with cliches, but nevertheless informative

Ciao!

Nicos

http://www.macdirectory.com/culture/France/

15. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Really? When? I would love that!
    It's about time.

16. j763 macrumors 6502a

I've been using OS X since Janurary and I just can't stand OS 9... Not only how it crashes every 5 minutes, its crappy multitasking or its stupid extention conflicts, but, damn, platinum is ugly and really hard on the eyes. I love aqua, even on my small ibook screen :)