Another day - Another Quark Font Q!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AlBDamned, May 17, 2005.

1. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

So, I've had the need to run Q5 on my new Powerbook (as Q6 is about to switch to demo mode as it's fully installed on my main PowerMac), so I add in OS9 Classic, then add in Q5. Load it up - no problem.

When I open an already finished page from a while back, it lists fonts which I don't [supposedly] have. However, I DO have the fonts - they work fine with Quark 6 and are in my library. It seems that the Q5 File does not have its own library to add the fonts in again and it won't link to the fonts already in my main library ?????? Where and how do I get it to recognise them?

Cheers!

AL

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Why can't you run and activate Quark 6 on your Powerbook?
    The Quark license now enable two activations per licence.

http://www.quark.com/products/xpress/tech_info/product_activation.html

If you really need to run Quark 5, double-check Fontbook or Suitcase to ensure that all active fonts are made available to Classic applications. Quark 5 will be looking for them in the Classic fonts folder in the System folder (?).

3. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

This is what I thought but I think I may have stuffed it when I had to re-install and activate Q6 on my powermac about a month ago.

Could try the online re-activation I guess as mine is definitely only being used on my PM and PB - nobody elses gear.

Have found the OS 9 Apps> System>fonts folder and have put the fonts in there. Got a message that said it needs to restart before they will be employed and....

4. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Balls - it's not working!! :eek: Quark sux ass some (most) of the time. everything else in OSX is so intelligent – yet Quark just seems like a brother who still lives at home when he's 30 cos he's too dumb to do anything else.....

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Are you using Fontbook or Suitcase?

Let them manage your fonts but you definitely have to set either of those applications to make fonts available to Classic.

Edit: Sure you've got the right fonts?
    If it was me, I'd do a 'collect for output' on Quark 6 on the PM, save a Quark 5 vesion of the document into the same folder. Move it all over to the PB and add the fonts with either Suitcase or Fontbook.

But if it was really me, I'd sort out my Quark license and forget messing with Quark 5. Life's too short for those kind of headaches...

6. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Fontbook and it does need clearing out on the PB 9still got all the stock fonts active). I think I may have to concentrate more on this after work....!

7. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Hmmm - it seems the above may not be true as my copy was put on an iMac unnecessarily. Anyone know if it's possible to 'deactivate on one Mac and then reactivate on another so that there are still only two active ones?

Think a call to Quark Europe may be needed. Great. :mad:

8. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Update on this:

Emailed Quark Europe (Switzerland) with a brief of the de-ac & re-ac problem. They cam back to me within two hours requesting some numbers and came back to me this morning with a new activation code. Now have 6.5 running full on the Powerbook having had it removed (effectively de-activating but, interestingly, I'm not sure if they'd be able to tell or not that it had been wiped) from the rogue iMac it shouldn't have been installed on.

Still haven't managed to get the fonts working on Version 5 but now it doesn't matter! 10 points to Quark people for acting/helping so quickly IMO. (The progrma still has its flaws but hey....).

Cheers.

AL