Another dead iMac 20" G5

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by bellis1, Mar 28, 2005.

1. bellis1 macrumors 6502

Just a quick note for those iMac G5 users out there that mine died after 6 months. Looks like I'll be having to invest in that applecare before my year is up. I had a feeling something was going to happen about a month after I bought it and I would notice an occasional screen flicker after it had been sitting for awhile. It seemed like it was having little power fluctuations but I tested it in two locations with same effect. I tried hardware test and kept my eye on the console but nothing ever came up.

And then this last week I was out of town but was connecting to the machine via VNC and returned to find out the screen was occasionally locking up blurred and leaving some phantom pixels. And then console started showing kernel graphics chip errors. And then it never recovered from the hardware test of the VRAM. The only thing I had done differently with the computer lately was that I had changed the resolution to match that of my 12" ibook while I was away to make using VNC easier. Would reduced resolution put an extra toll on the VRAM? I think I might have also reduced the number of colors to see if Chicken of the VNC would work faster. Is this practice I should not use when I am away from my office? It is just such a hastle to try to scroll around the screen space on my 20" when I'm on my 12". Any ideas?

Right now Apple is thankfully next-daying me a new midplane. However, they did tell me if I don't get them the old one back within 10 days of receiving the new one that they would charge me $1200.

Otherwise I love my 20".

2. iGary Guest

iGary

This sending a midplane replacement policy of Apple's is BS.

After only having a top-end machine like that for 6 months, YOU shouldn't be the one repairing it on your time.

Do you have an Apple Store or retailer anywhere nearby?

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

This does suck but i would suggest everyone with a G5iMac get the extended Applecare. Lot of problems related to video. sorry about your problems bellis1.

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

my imc g5 17 1.8ghz has had smooth saling for all 4 months ive had it put a few days before my normal coverage stops ill go get applecare(or when i have the money before then)

5. bellis1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Midplane replacement

I would actually prefer to do the midplane replacement because I am not near an Apple store. They said I could bring it to CompUSA but who knows what might happen to it. They might even erase my hard-drive. I also need to access files on the computer. I got the computer to boot (although with an unreadable screen) and now that the screen is sleeping I can access it over the network. Before the screen slept it would keep locking up but now that it is asleep it is working fine for accessing files. Now I just have a very expensive Mac mini server.

6. iGary Guest

iGary

Good luck - I hope it works out for you.

I think the 17" 1.8's have been the most reliable of all the models - anyone agree?

Never had a switch of trouble with mine. Ever.

7. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-All

Pretty much any recent hardware unit has a capacitor problem. It's luck of the draw - Apple's as much a victim of this as anyone else. There were gobs, (read: millions) of bad capacitors distributed to OEMs for a number of years. Besides, Applecare is always a good idea. See BadCaps for details.

8. bellis1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Replaced the midplane this morning

Apple got the midplane to me in two days and I put it in this morning. It took less than hour but I basically had to dismantle the entire computer. I thought it ws kind of fun and it is back up and running now.

9. ScubaDuc macrumors 6502

ScubaDuc

Not quite. My 17 inch Apple screen died in the same exact fashion as the one described by the OP, except mine was nearly 3 yrs old. Proof that it is not just the new screens. Luckily I had Apple care but they lost the monitor and it took me 7 weeks to get a new one, which now has also started to flicker....

That is why I think the mini is such a great idea. I can use it with a Sony DVI monitor and don't have to pay extra for a warranty since 3 yrs are standard.

If only Apple would put a decent video card and a dual core in the mini, I would be even more enthusiastic.

10. w00tmaster macrumors regular

I wouldn't say it is always a good idea. For example, on low end iBooks the cost AppleCare is about 25% of that of a new unit. I'd rather just wait for the thing to die, even if it is a bit shy of 3 years(probably will last longer), and then use that money to buy a new one at that point or even go with a new line altogether.
    Now with the iMacs it's a good idea because Applecare is less than 10% of the purchase price of the machine.

11. SeRgIo_42 macrumors member

...and then there are still people that
    believes that this is just bad statistics.

I am sorry to hear these problems, bellis1.

Since January I am preparing myself to get a mac.
    As many of you did once, I played with all ideas in order
    to choose the right mac (at the same time I
    was looking for compatible software...so far I have
    just one missing : I need a good 2D/3D plotting
    program like Microcal Origin...I found good alternatives
    but nothing so easy as...but I am almost there).

I believe the iMacs are an interesting approach but to have
    these nice screens forever lost (there is no video input)
    is just a pain. Since we do not have much options left
    (upgrade to powermac and break the bank or get a mini),
    I have the feeling that I am just throwing a dice with the imacs...

Hopefully I will be fine. I have faith.

;)

Obs. So, it looks to me that the only thing I really want is OSX.
    I realized that mac hardware has its own mood and you can not
    do much about it when you are out of luck : just give more money
    to Apple for Applecare.

12. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

I guess I'll wait for the Rev B iMacs to come out. Apple is pretty good about working out the bugs and kinks with the next revision (but not all).

13. diamond geezer macrumors regular

I would suggest anyone who buys any new Mac, gets an APP, as all Apples proprietary parts are VERY expensive.

If you don't get APP, you're a mug.