Another desperate soul - Powerbook September update - when/questions/ipod?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by igmolinav, Aug 26, 2005.

  1. igmolinav macrumors 65816

    Aug 15, 2005
    Hi !!!

    I may buy the new powerbook, the one that will be updated sometime in september.

    Since the new updated powerbook may be shown at the Apple Paris Expo, do you think it will be out on the market before the ipod promotion on Sept. 24th ends?

    It´s been said that no major upgrades will be made to the powerbook, but is it possible at this point to have an idea of what upgrades will be done on the 12" and 15" powerbooks?

    If there are any more news, is it through macrumors that we´ll get the latest news or should I also be aware of other information source?

    Thank you,

    Ignacio Molina.
  2. dcv macrumors G3

    May 24, 2005
    Hi, nobody here knows for sure about when the updates will happen, or what the updates will be. There are already several speculative threads in this forum. If you look at history, the 12/15 inch PBs typically take on whatever chip the 17 or upgraded 15 inch models had and the top-end gets about a 133Mhz increase. So i would predict a bump to 1.67 / 1.8 G4 processors, probably same RAM but the 12 inch would get it soldered in one lump instead of 2x256MB as with the latest iBook. Possibly an improved graphics card for the 12 inch model too. I can't imagine they would change very much before the intel PowerBooks come out.

    Apple are very secretive about updates and new products so anything you hear between now and the official press releases are just rumours.
  3. Village macrumors member

    Feb 3, 2003
    Austin, Tejas
    I'm in the same boat as Ignacio regarding the iPod Edu promo. The iPod promotion and the Paris Expo both end September 24th, but the Paris keynote is slated for Tuesday morning. I can't recall from last expos, but if Jobs were to announce a bumped Powerbook, wouldn't it be Tuesday morning? That gives all education customers four days to order the new machine with free iPod Mini (assuming the new machines are available to order that morning).

    If I can't get the free iPod Mini, not all is lost. The rumored flash-based Mini would be a nice consollation prize.
  4. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

    Mar 18, 2005
    If I was in the market for a PB, I would seriously just buy it now. Noone knows for sure exactly when the updates are coming. It's no fun to sit around and wait and wait and wait, just do it now!
  5. hepcat57 macrumors newbie

    Aug 24, 2005
    If you wait until Sept, you can either get an upgraded PB, save on a discontinued model for probably the amount equal to the iPod mini cost, or miss out completely if the PB isn't updated...wait, how does this post help? :p
  6. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

    Aug 15, 2005
    Thank you very much for your help !!!

    Ignacio Molina.
  7. nagromme macrumors G5


    May 2, 2002
  8. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

    AJ Muni

    Aug 4, 2005
    thats EXACTLY what i did....i figured yea its sept.24, and we all kno itll take a while to get, say 2 weeks cuz of what...october 6-9??? thats too long to wait...and im pretty sure its GOING TO BE HARD to get both the free ipod promo with the new powerbooks. FROM WHAT I HEAR...most stores are running out of the 4gb mini ....

Share This Page