another digital camera thread!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by puckhead193, Jul 4, 2005.

1. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i want a new camera for my b-day but i don't want a basic point and shoot camera, and a DSLR is not for me.... so i thought i would do a high end camera. I wanted some feed back on these cameras:
    Canon powershot pro 1
    canon powershot G6
    canon S2 IS
    konica minolta A2 or A200
    nikon coolpix 8800

what i don't like about the G6 is its short optical zoom range. On the S2 IS i wish it rechargeable batteries, and its only 5 mega pixels. I heard on the pro 1 that that auto focus is slow/off, but canon put out a firmware update..... I haven't heard much on the nikon nor the konica minolta A2 or A200 (besides the swivel screen i don't see a difference in them)

Is 7/8 mega pixels over kill for me, i don't have a large format printer, just the normal 8 by 10 photo printer.

Anyone have these any of these cameras, what do you think of it? Would you buy it again? Any regrets? I heard good things on here about the G6. Look at the specs i like the pro 1. Can you post some pictures that were taken with it
    Thanks for your help.

2. ekenny macrumors regular

ekenny

I just bought a Canon A510 yesterday from newegg.com for $175. I read the reviews and they were all pretty good. Its a 3.2 MP with 4x optical zoom, etc. I saw some pictures taken with it and they sure do look good.

3. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

4. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

anyone have any insight on any of the above cameras? I plan on purchasing this weekend.

edit - i've been to dpreview.com and read the reviews and user opinions.

5. mulligan macrumors newbie

try out kenrockwell.com.....some excellent advice on that site. I recently went through the same thought process and wound up with a DSLR (Nikon D70) and have not regretted it one bit. Good luck w/ your hunt.

Hit 'em straight.

6. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

I have the Canon S2 IS... it's a great camera for it's price range. It's very versatile in that it does quite well with macro shots, or zoomed way in (range is from 36mm to 432mm). It also has a great movie mode, and is almost a replacement for a video camera (excellent quality video, but is limited by the space of your memory card).

It doesn't come with rechargeable batteries, but you can (and should) use a set of 4 NiMH rechargeables... people report getting around 400-500 shots per battery charge with a good set of batteries.

The main complaint people have about the S2 is that the images can be a little noisy in some situations (particulary with using ISO 200 and 400)... due to the fact that it uses a small sensor. I don't find it to be a big problem though, and in most cases the images are very clean and sharp.

There are some reviews online that you can read, that have sample images such as this:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons2is/

Here are a few nice pictures I've taken with mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Canon Pro 1 is also a very nice camera, and produces cleaner images... but is a bit slower since it uses an older processor.

7. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

Thanks for the input. i like your pictures, they look very clear and crisp. I liked the butterfly one.

8. ksz macrumors 68000

Consider also the Olympus C-7070 which is now available for $350 online, half of what it cost 3-4 months ago. It has a 4x optical zoom that zooms out to 28mm (yes wide angle!), TruePic Turbo processor, 7 megapixels, and all the shooting and movie modes one could ask for including Stitch or Panorama. Unlike small digicams for the average point-and-shooter, it also has full manual control (with a top shutter speed of 1/4000s) and RAW support. I think it is mainly criticized for having a slightly cheaper lens compared with its bigger 8MP sibling.

www.dpreview.com is the essential source for review and info on digicams. Also check out their Forums.

9. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

atari, that fireworks picture is amazing!! I haven't seen a fireworks picture like that before. Not one with that much detail and crispiness (not a word, I know but I can't think of one)

10. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

i've narrowed my choices down:
    Canon pro 1
    nikon coolpix 8800
    Konica Minolta A2/A200

I'm having a tough decision, any help would be appreciated.

11. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

I would put my word in for Nikon.

They are well known for their quality cameras, and there are many reasons why I love mine. Great macro, crisp images, and a range of settings, to name just a few, allow you to take great pictures which you'd be pleased with.

::20ROGERSC::

12. jenpetosa macrumors newbie

I like the Canon Powershot Pro1

I purchased the Pro1 a year ago upgrading from a G2. I don't think 8 megapixels is too much. I use the definition to zoom in further before printing... it compensate a little for not having a large zoom (I take a lot of pictures of birds). So, in my opinion never too many pixels. I didn't purchase the next step up, because all those cameras don't have a preview display... which I also use a lot of.

On another note, I haven't found another thread yet to address my problem. I have three BP-511 batteries that used to last for many pictures. Now, I can barely get them to stay on. I recently got a new battery charger (lost the old one!) ... the canon battery charger CB-5L. I thought it seemed awfully quick to recharge my batteries... argggh. Anyone know what is going on here?