Another fine article from MSN

Discussion in 'Community' started by cr2sh, Feb 4, 2003.

1. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Oh, by the way... has nothing to do with Apple:
    http://encarta.msn.com/column/teacherpaymain.asp
    MSN is in so much trouble, they're nothing but complete idiots over there.

"I think teachers are more like doctors when it comes to the amount of training needed for the job. "

"In fact, teachers need about the same amount of training as architects, engineers, and accountants."

As an engineer who has dated several education majors... no. not even close.

This guy manages to take the simplest debate ever, screw it up, and it makes the index page of msn as news. I might just be in a bad mood, but this just pissed me off. I'm deleting MSN from my toolbar, and I am never going to that website again, it is complete idiocy over there.

I mean teachers should make more money, they are underpaid, don't get me wrong. They're doing a vital job, but most teachers are there because the love the work. I don't know many educators who do what the do because they wanted to be rich. This guy though compares education classes with an md or an engineering degree... teachers should not be payed well because what they do is hard, but because we value our children's education and their future, we don't like to think of ourselves as robbing them of that. This guy starts the debate out though with: Are teachers overpaid? Goodbye MSN. :mad:

2. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

I think he is being a bit melodramatic to get hits.

With his reasoning, I should get paid way more as well.

I have a graphic design degree (155 semster hours BS), working on masters (66 semester hours MFA). I go to various trianings every two months (pre-press, photoshop, job tracking, etc.) I typically work 6 days a week, 10-12 hours a day. I go to press checks when necessary, I am always on call when something's printing. I have had many press check 2:30 in the morning, to wake up at 6:30 and go to work.

Granted I don't instill knowledge into future generations, but I work my hard out. Does this make me less of a person??? Am I selfish? Maybe, but we all work hard to make a living, and I think it takes different kind of commitments for different kind of jobs. I have teacher friends in special ed. I wouldn't last a second in their position, and they don't make much, but they feel rewarded by their job. I do too.