Another G4 upgrade question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by fussball, Mar 11, 2004.

1. fussball macrumors regular

May 7, 2003
    I currently have a g4/400 AGP tower. It has a 32mb nVidia card (geForce2) and a second drive, 7200rpm 60 gigs. It has 640 mb RAM, I think. Would it be worthwhile to throw in 1 gig of ram and a sonnet encore 1ghz card? If I did this, would I need to do anything else?

What would I be able to get for this tower were I to sell it instead of upgrading? Is anyone here running similar upgrades on an AGP graphics 400?

2. pncc macrumors regular

Jul 23, 2002
    I don't thing that CPU is worth much-a few hundred at best. It has a decent (not great) video card that utilizes Quickdraw Extreme. For ?$500 you could significantly upgrade this. Add a Sonnet 1GHz CPU and another 60GB drive of the same make model as the one you have and RAID stripe them. Put all your system and Application on the original drive and all your data on the RAID. You will see a HUGE performance boost.
  3. dudeami macrumors regular

Feb 4, 2004

Go checkout xbench's result comparison site. Look under the type of system you have, you should see plenty of results for people who have upgraded. Some people are better then others at telling you exactly what the old system was, and which manufacturer made the upgrade card, etc in their comments -- so it might take some searching. Have fun.

I have always upgraded each of my mac's at least once to get some extra life out of it. You will usually get very good results if you upgrade processor, hard drives and graphics card, until the motherboard speeds get to outdated. Then its definitely time to buy a new one. But if you have the dough, newer is always better. I do run a RAID 3 on my drives as well, it will give you much better performance. Also with RAID 3 more is better as long as you have bandwidth to spare, so three drives would be faster then two and so on.
  4. fussball thread starter macrumors regular

May 7, 2003
    How do I go about setting up RAID 3 on my computer? any places with info that you can direct me? thanks!