another good advert for apple

Discussion in 'Community' started by russed, Oct 24, 2004.

1. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i found this on the bbc news website. apparantly the star wars trilogy for dvd was done on 600 2ghz g5 powermacs. a very nice set up!

here!

2. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I just found this and was about to post a new thread. Sounds good, and nice of the BBC to stick "Mac" in the title of the article!

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

The bit about how badly the original neg had become degraded in such a short time because of constant handling was interesting & slightly alarming, and particularly the before & after shots of R2D2...

I wonder what state earlier 60s & 70s classics are in: Godfather, French Connection etc.

Don't think Gigli is going to suffer somehow...

:)

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Gigli didn't even use real people, so quality can never deteriorate.

7. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    It as an interesting use of "Mac" in the title, considering the article only briefly mentioned them in a couple of lines.

8. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Yes it's almost like the BBC wants Apple to get the recognition for it. Or else maybe it suggests that Apple could prove people who wouldn't think Macs would be up to the job wrong.

The reporter on the article must be an avid Mac fan :D

9. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

I remember a few months ago that someone accused the BBC of Mac bias. Hopefully that will not be raised again, as it is a good article.

10. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

11. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

No, no, no!

Mac=The Light side of the Force.

:)

12. hob macrumors 68020

hob

Sorry, must've missed that story, but I did catch myself thinking that maybe the BBC do have an Apple bias... Not that I'm complaining... but I did happen to notice it.

Hob

13. russed thread starter macrumors 68000

russed

well if you watch the bbc news, in the news room behind you can see loads of the previous apple displays. probably as most of the bbc will use apples they too know the truth and so can come across slightly biased!

14. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Yes but the laptops they use in the news studio itself when presenting look suspicously like Dells of some sort...

15. Macs R Us macrumors 6502

Here on My Mac(s) in my house in the USA!
    Very True... And very cool... It amazes me, I can remember went having 20 LC's Hooked up VIA Phone-net was cool... And now thats not even 1 G5...

16. russed thread starter macrumors 68000

russed

yeh i have thought that. they look thicker than pb's and the logo on the back of the screen is round, not apple shaped!

17. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

yes, they are definietly not Macs. The logo is round and the screen swings in similar fashion to the old TiBooks, not the new PowerBooks and iBooks, where the screen folds back behind the base itself.

18. Macs R Us macrumors 6502

Here on My Mac(s) in my house in the USA!
    Well, thats ture... I have seen about 30 Laptops that look like the PowerBooks.... But well Uglier...

19. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

20. hob macrumors 68020

hob

Their front-end laptops are dell. They seem totally unnecessary - I've never seen a BBC One news builiten where they use the damn thing - and rarely on News 24...

Kept thinking about this all day today, then watched BBC One's Spooks at 21.00 - there are more macs in there than in the Regent Street Apple Store! Cinema Displays and iSights were all over the place and I swear I saw an iBook... then again I saw an O2 XDA too... dunno how they sync that!!

Hob

21. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Yep, those laptops are just for looks. Wouldn't be surprised if they're even cardboard cutouts! Notice the customary click or two of the mouse at the end of a bulletin now, instead of the shuffle of the papers of old?

And Spooks has always been a showcase for Apple. I don't watch it anymore but I've seen G4 towers, iBooks, G4 iMacs and cinema displays before. So they have iSights now too, cool.

22. russed thread starter macrumors 68000

russed

yeh, i would love to know whats the point in them. they never look at them or anything. they have optical mice, but the desk is glass. do optical mice work on glass? they probably think that the comps make them look intelligent!

23. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

the reason that news anchor desks have PC laptops is this: there is no Mac newsroom software.

the reason the laptops are on the desks is to display the show's rundown. news anchors (they're called newsreaders in the UK) can see the order of stories, who's reading them (in the case of a multiple-person newscast), and they can preview the scripts story by story by clicking into them. they can also edit the stories if they like (really if they have enough time to do that... some anchors have "pet" topics to which they like to add their own flair... the heavy lifting, as in writing the stories in the first place, is done by the producers and newswriters behind the scenes).

I'm a newswriter and TV journalist when I'm not a freelance documentary producer / shooter / editor.

24. Jaz macrumors regular