Another hdtv quest

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mccldwll, Dec 29, 2006.

1. mccldwll macrumors 65816

Great info here already, but thought should start another thread rather than piggyback. Local cable company will be offering hi def in month or two. We've been looking for a 40-42" hdtv for elderly grandparent types who have trouble telling difference between standard def and digital/dvd, but still want to get quality set for them (probably will be their last tv). We were focusing on 1080p (Sony, Samsung, Sharp, Toshiba) but that now sounds like overkill based on what's being broadcast. Primary viewing will be standard tv programming, football, and stuff like cnbc that has scrolling info bar so need lcd (to avoid burn in). Had pretty much narrowed it down to the 40" Sony Bravia 1080p V series (not XBR) before reading all this. With all that in mind, would appreciate recommendations on best quality sets a step down from the 1080p. Would also appreciate hearing why certain sets might not be good choices, and recommended places to buy (best prices). Many thanks in advance.

2. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

I have the Bravia and it's fantastic. The up-res on SD television is really good, and the color is spectacular. All the other screens I looked at were too bright (don't buy a set based on brightness, as most people do).

Best of luck!

3. aj98 macrumors member

The Bravia series are nice.

I have both the 32S2000 and 40V2500. No problems, no complaints.

Caught a deal on the V2500 on Black Friday - 1750 @ BestBuy.
    Current sale prices are about 2100 @ both BB and CircuitCity.

You may want to consider the 40S2010, which I've seen
    as low as 1450 (circuit City).

4. Dave00 macrumors 6502a

Please keep in mind - and this is really important - the great majority of the stuff (including CNET, etc) will be broadcast in standard definition, at 480i. So the most important question is how does the TV look in standard def. Most HDTV's cannot display 480i content as well as a standard-def tv. Some come pretty darn close.

There is a recent - and good - review of HDTV's, including how they look in standard def, on consumerreports.com. It costs a couple bucks to subscribe for one month, but I'd recommend reading before puchasing.

Dave

5. mccldwll thread starter macrumors 65816

Standard def programming

In case I didn't make it clear, that's really where I'm coming from (and I'll take a look at CRonline tonight). Most of their viewing will be standard def, and I doubt they could even tell the difference between good 720p and 1080p. We want to get them a very nice set, but sounds like getting a 1080p might not only not provide a benefit, but could end up being worse overall (worse in standard def and no better to their eyes in high def). So, what are really good choices in 40-42 720p/1080i sets?