Another Hidden iOS 5 Feature: Autocorrect Keyboard Bar

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 9, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Beyond the Panorama view, it seems Apple left out another small feature in the final version of iOS 5. The bar appears while typing into the field as shown above, giving you a number of autocorrection options. Per 9to5mac, the feature can reportedly be enabled on a non-jailbroken phone with the following procedure :

Based on comments, it seems a little unstable, so it seems there are reasons that this was never enabled for the final version. Still, it's interesting to see what other features Apple explored.

Article Link: Another Hidden iOS 5 Feature: Autocorrect Keyboard Bar
  2. macrumors member

Jun 5, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    This is the autocorrect bar Japanese input now uses (without a hack) to suggest words or to convert kana into kanji. I don't like it. I think the old system was much, much better and allowed there to be more screen space.
  3. macrumors regular

Jan 31, 2011
    I have a feeling these left out features will be released with iOS 5.1
  4. macrumors 6502a

Apr 4, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    This kinda sucks, because you can't text correctly then.
  5. macrumors regular

Oct 2, 2009
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

I prefer this method than the older one even with less screen space. It was too small for fingers before, or you'd have to cover the full screen to see all the options. It also give the English word option when typing katakana-eigo.
  6. macrumors member

Mar 20, 2009
    Time Capsule
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Don't you mean "Just a few of the hundreds of new features in iOS 6"

Haha ;)
  7. macrumors 68000

Mar 9, 2009
    What's up with the hidden features?

Oh, it seems to work a bit like the autocorrection bar in Android.
  8. macrumors newbie

Aug 29, 2010

So i am using an iPhone 4S, have listened to all of these instructions, but CANNOT find this keyboard.plist file. i have talked to some friends and they do not have it either when they try. I have tried backing up multiple times and i still don't know what to do. Anyone have suggestions? Thanks!
  9. macrumors 6502a

Mar 9, 2010
    Sweet, took 5 minutes on my 4S. It was buggy but I did the first restart and now it seems surprisingly good actually. I like it.
  10. macrumors newbie

Aug 29, 2010
    Where did you find the plist? i can't find it anywhere on my 4S!
  11. macrumors 6502a

Aug 30, 2010
    load up ibackbot, click your backup on the left, click the Path bar(it'll sort by letter), scroll to Library/Preferences/, double click the file and click cancel, copy the code line and paste via the icon button after <true/> value, save, click the power button like icon on the top right, restore.

it works, but annoyance is that you have to click the confirm button on the bottom right every time, then space bar..
  12. macrumors 6502a

Mar 9, 2010
    It was super easy. Just open your backup and scroll down a bit to the plist section. Its in there.
  13. macrumors newbie

Aug 29, 2010
    no like i don't have the plist file. there is none in iBackUpBot. i have gone through it like 20 times 0_o
  14. macrumors 6502a

May 29, 2008
    I feel like this and the panorama are features they left out to show off the delta updates once they are "fully baked". I hope deep Facebook integration makes it too.
  15. macrumors 6502a

Aug 30, 2010
    Well in my file it says something about buddysetupdone, maybe setup a buddy in game center or something along those lines. :-\
  16. macrumors newbie

Aug 29, 2010
    What do you mean?
  17. macrumors 6502

Jul 24, 2009
    I dunno... For my money, these things are disabled for a reason. Both the autocorrect KB and the panoramic camera view look unpolished to the point Apple didn't enable them. If they look like crap, they probably function like crap, too.
  18. macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Oct 9, 2006
    Some how I see Apple left this out because it does not look at good but it is one of those great features that should be at least optional to pop up.

I would not be surprised if it in there for this was in there for testing auto correct. It see what other options the keyboard was looking at.
  19. Guest

Apr 26, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
  20. macrumors 68000

Sep 24, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I guess that's the only obvious place to put suggested words. Surprisingly, that's the thing about Android that always irked me when I see the screenshots. It looks like it takes up too much space.

Does it actually help in your experience? I seems just typing words like normal is more efficient than typing a part of the word and slowing down to select if from a list.
  21. macrumors newbie

Apr 13, 2010
    No wifi

I updated to use this feature. Now wifi is broken. Yay!
  22. macrumors newbie

Nov 5, 2009
    I can't find the plist.

I can't find the plist: "" at all, I have searched and searched.. Did apple remove it? I'm on iOS 5.0.1 beta 2 & have an iPhone 4S

someone please get back to me on this..

*returns to hunting for the plist*
  23. macrumors 68040

Jan 11, 2007
    North Central Florida
    Someone mentioned it is used now or the Japanese keyboard, those of you missing the plist have you turned other keyboards on? I'm assuming you need to do that first... Like the Japanese one you used to have to do to get emoji.

Just a thought so early in the am!
  24. macrumors regular

Jan 21, 2011
    Helsinki, Finland
    It seems to be the correction bar for a Swype keyboard.

Take a look to the attachment: it's a screenshot from my Nokia N9 with Swype keyboard enabled.

Attached Files:

25. macrumors member

May 8, 2009
    I no longer have access to this plist on 5.0.1 either, its there on older backups. I imagine its still accessible on a jailbroken device but its not in the backup file anymore