Another horrible PC story thread..........

Discussion in 'Community' started by busasa, Dec 6, 2004.

1. busasa macrumors member

Feb 2, 2004
    My Gf's mom recently bought a new notebook to replace her old Armada running Windows 2000 (which was actually not bad, considering its the MS' best OS so far) with the IBM G41 running XP:H. When it's delivered, she asked me to set the computer up for her, since no one in my gf's family knows anything about computer. Knowing that the ibm thinkpad series have a uncanny reputation in the notebook biz, I willingly accept to help her thinking that it'll be a breeze to set up all every-day programs she'll need (I didn't know the model before opening the package, only knowing it's an ibm). At that time, I didn't know my nightmare had just begun.

Okay............ so setting up a notebook, how hard or bad can it be? As I gradually opened the boring packaging, (arrr........... radical diff. to my pbg4) I discovered something that's terrible to my eyes. A MAMMOTH machine that's 2 inches thick and weighs 8 lb!!!! Not only that........... after i checked the spec., things just got worse. A XGA 14", a P4 3ghz with 128ram and 30gb hd, to make things worse, a shared mem. video card adds to the insults of pultry ram.

Thinking that how can IBM release such a horrible monster, I still carefully prompted into the windows ready to set up security necessities to make it atleast software-lly sound. This is when the real trouble arises. The machine, for some reason, moves really slow even after I defragmented and move many junks out of it. This is when I decide to do a clean install myself without all those ibm support crap. But the CD-ROM is broken, there is no way to access the included windows CD-rom. Now, I have no idea how to handle this pos. A total disaster, this is not the kind of out of box product I'm looking for from ibm.

SIGHHHHHHH............. seems like i'll be there for a long time........
  2. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

Apr 29, 2004
    London, UK
    The question that begs to be asked is – what kind of friend are you, letting your girlfriends mother buy a windows running machine in the first place?

Suggesting she buys an ibook would have saved you all lots of bother... ;)
  3. apple2991 macrumors 6502

May 20, 2004
    Just set her up with an easy Linux distro. Then punch them for not asking you about it BEFORE the purchase, since "none of them know anything about computers."