Another "I dropped my powerbook.." story.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by DVNIEL, Jul 20, 2005.

1. DVNIEL macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

So yeah, last weekend wasn't the greatest. Saturday evening I came home to find the hallway filled with furniture because they were adding crown molding to all the rooms, and it was a narrow hallway now because of the furniture. I tried to slip through and lifted up my backpack... then all of a sudden I hear a LOUD thud behind me. Then I thought to myself it can't be.. but yes, lo and behold my Powerbook slipped out of my backpack. A 17" powerbook at that.

When I looked at it, it was open. I held my breath for so long. The results of the drop weren't that great, but tolerable. The edges had white areas, but thank goodness it wasn't due to the aluminum finish chipping off.. but from some white paint that I easily scraped off. I can tell the powerbook no longer lies flat cause if you press a certain corner, it'll bounce a little. If you look at the gap between the screen and the base when its closed... you can tell that one side doesn't not come down all the way.

- Powerbook latch still catches
    - No spots on the screen
    - All hardware is working
    - Dark grey ring above bezel not bent

I think dropping your powerbook is one of the worst things you can do. I took this as a sign for something I've been pondering. If this is a taste of what may come in the future, it was only right to sign up with SafeWare insurance (www.safeware.com). They cover theft, accidently damage, loss, etc. with little to no deductible at all.

Hope my powerbook adds to the list of suggestions to be careful with your powerbook when its not on a solid surface. Have a great day.

2. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

3. DVNIEL thread starter macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

hahaha yeah sorry, but its the truth. I was reading Macworld Magazine and I saw the website. It seems only right to get something other than AppleCare because Applecare is so limited to what they'll fix.

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Considering that it doesn't look like any of the posters other posts, I'd almost say that it was professionally written.

5. DVNIEL thread starter macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

Eh fine. I'll post some pics.

The first pic is of the dent, the next is the normal side when closed (the left), and the last one is the right side showing it doesn't close down all the way.

edit: thanks bousozoku, i always took pride in my writing skills=)

Attached Files:

6. capone2 macrumors regular

I know even worse powerbook droppings stories than this !! Dropping in the street on hard cement .....NIGHTMARE. I have a 17- also and if i dropped it i could not take it.

let this be a warning to all.

PB 17" 1.5ghz/1GB ram.

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

villanova329 I think that I would have had a heart attack had I heard the sound of my PowerBook hitting the floor behind me. Glad to hear that it sustained only minor damage. SafeWare insurance sounds pretty appealing after reading your post.

8. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

I did something similar a few months ago with my 15in PB, just warped the bottom case a little. Apple wanted nearly $1000 to replace the bottom case. i went to my local reseller and service store, they did the job for under $300. No insurance at the time, but I sure got it after that.

9. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Hmm...

10. Marlon_JBT macrumors 6502

Now how come mine couldn't have survived without trouble!?!?! :D

11. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    I got safeware for when i went abroad, where i would be using my Pb on a ship for 4 months(i.e. SALTWATER) I never ended up needing it but it was always nice to have the coverage. I paid I think 250 to cover my iPod and my Laptop for 2 years, it was an awesome deal. I had a friend of a friend(one of those stories) where he apparently spilled something on his laptop, went through the paces with Safeware and they replaced his laptop, even though it was a true accident, not only hardware defect crap "other" places pull under warranty.

12. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I'm looking into safeware for my iBook. I put in a $1000.00 value and it said the premium would be $63.00. Is that /month /year /what? I don't think they explain it very good...anyone?

13. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

I'd say it's for the year. Otherwise you'd be paying $750+ a year for $1000 cover and that doesn't seem quite right. :)

14. ClarkeB macrumors 6502

ClarkeB

Well what you do is at the end of your coverage, back up your data and then smash the **** out of it! Then it is all worth it!

15. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I've had Safeware on all my Macs for the past 3 years. "Safeware" itself is just an insurance sales company, the actual insurance is Bankers Insurance of Florida.

Anyways, I knocked my PowerBook G4 15" off my desk early in the year, and filed a claim with Safeware. It took them two weeks, but they sent me a check to purchase a new PowerBook. However, three weeks later they (Bankers Insurance of Florida) sent me a prorated refund check for my other three computers I have insured with them, and sent me a nasty note that they did not want to do business with me anymore.

I have since just added my notebooks to my home insurance policy for $45 each per year. Much better value, and since I have long standing relationship with the insurance company I have now.. I shouldn't have to deal with being "dropped" again.

I don't recommend Safeware, check with your home insurance company.

16. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

By the way, Safeware will only fix the accident if the damage is not a hardware defect and is not of just a cosmetic matter.

If you dent your PowerBook, Safeware will not pay to fix it. However, if you drop your PowerBook and damage major components such as the hard drive or screen, Safeware will send the computer to an Apple authorized repair center or send you a replacement check, whichever is cheaper for them.

17. WeeShoo macrumors regular

Ouchies.

That suxorz bro. That would be one of the reasons why I got a Desktop because I like to drop things, things were like made for me to drop them.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

While it's never a good thing to drop a laptop, I've dropped my iBook 3 times and it's perfectly fine- no chips or cracks at all. That's why I bought it in the first place-I knew I would be traveling with it a lot and accidents happen. If I dropped a PowerBook that many times, it would resemble aluminum foil. :) Point being- I wouldn't worry as much about an iBook.

19. Billly macrumors newbie

i dropped my powerbook just like you. however, my powerbook was in my backpack at the time and it fell from a table. the screen and the base is uneven. there a gap wider at the left than the right. i was so pissed that day and crying to this day, but what can you do and deal with it.

20. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

~knocks on plywood~

My 12" is durable... but I don't want to test it.

21. iBunny macrumors 65816

I understand accidents happen. But My God, i dont know how anyone could do this.

I have had my iBook for 10 months and never have dropped / banged it. I am currently in Iraq right now, been here since Feburary. I have my iBook with me, and it is perfect. So iF I am over here in this messed up place and I can take care of my Laptop, how can someone at home be so careless? I am just amazed. Not becase You dropped it persay, but beacuse there are many many people who post this exact same thing "I dropped my Laptop".

Maybe its just because I work my ass off for my money, and my 1500$ investment means alot more to me, since I dont make alot anyway. In the buisness I am in, Accidents = someone is killed / your postion is taken over. Learn to be more carefull.

22. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I feel for you even though I can't totally identify (being as I'm not in the Marine Corps or in Iraq- You are HARDCORE!:eek: ). But at the same time, I think a lot of us are careful and don't make as many mistakes in some realms of daily life (for example, when driving-- cars cost big $ and lives are always at stake) but I think a lot of us let down our guard in other realms of life, as in when we're carrying our backpacks and such. That doesn't mean that we don't value every dollar. Luckily, I haven't had such a sad accident happen to my PB, whew.

23. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Although I understand what your saying and I appreciate all your hard work, iBooks are much more durable than the AL PowerBooks. You can drop a wireless mouse on top of your PowerBook and cause a good sized dent. Apple really should work on their durability. The TI PowerBook and iBook I own are like tanks, and after three years of usage... neither have scratches, dents, or dings.

24. Lau Guest

My home insurance covers my PowerBook automatically. I think we pay an extra £40 or something a year for "general-expensive-things-that-could-be-stolen-or-broken-while-outside-the-home" cover, and my PowerBook is covered in that. I think if it's worth over £1500 you have to phone up and tell them you have it, but it's still no extra charge.