Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

floatingspirit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2001
Seattle, WA
Can the factory installed RAM be moved to the expansion slot? I ask because for the 1Gig stick, transintl.com charges $189US for the "Factory Slot" stick and $419US for the "User Slot" stick.

What's the difference? Does that mean I can't buy the "Factory Slot" 1Gig stick and then bump the factory installed into the expansion slot to boost my total RAM to 1.256Gigs? What's up with this? And one more...can I install the RAM myself?

Thanks...

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
The factory installed RAM cannot be moved to the expansion slot, as they are physically different sizes. The factory RAM slot holds a standard 168 pin DIMM module, however the expansion slot requires a 144 pin SO-DIMM stick of RAM. This is partially why the expansion slot RAM is more expensive - because SO-DIMM modules are more expensive than DIMM modules.

Only the expansion slot is accessible in the iMac. If you want to access that factory slot, have fun disassembliing the case, removing the superdrive to access it, and breaking the seals of thermal paste (and then re-sealing the thermal paste after you're done.) It's quite challenging, so do it at your own risk!

As for bumping it up past 1 GHz, I don't think the iMac supports that, so feel free to try, but the RAM will either be unrecognized or your machine will crash. :)

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
Originally posted by ~Shard~
Only the expansion slot is accessible in the iMac. If you want to access that factory slot, have fun disassembliing the case, removing the superdrive to access it, and breaking the seals of thermal paste (and then re-sealing the thermal paste after you're done.) It's quite challenging, so do it at your own risk!
This is not quite the case. You do have to remove the bottom of the housing, but you do not have to remove (or indeed even touch) the drive cage. It takes about 10 minutes all-told, and by your third upgrade you could do it blindfolded. The thermal paste, however, really is a necessity. Had a customer install his own RAM, and returned it several times swearing the memory was defective, as his machine was unstable since installing it. Upon inspection, he had done a very thorough job of removing the residue of the old thermal compound, but had not replaced it.
Also, the Apple Stores are not supposed to install RAM into the internal socket, so your only real option is to do it yourself. There are take-apart instructions floating around the web.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Originally posted by floatingspirit
Oh, I see. I guess perhaps I'll think twice about getting the "Factory Slot" stick then.

Thanks for saving me from a big oops!

No problem - that's what we're all here for! :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.