Another Internet Fraud? If not, it's weird.

Discussion in 'Community' started by coopdog, Dec 20, 2003.

1. coopdog macrumors 6502a

http://www.planetaryinvestments.com/

From the FAQ:
    What? I think it is a "Novelty Gift" not real like they say on their site. Does anyone know if this is real? Space politics is going to be the next big problem in the world, universe.

2. esternullo macrumors member

ialways thought that the moon would be taken over by Pepsi co. before any government was established..

they would have some pop star singing some stupid song and have PEPSI in big letters blow up the moon, for a Super-Bowl commercial...

just imagine

3. coopdog thread starter macrumors 6502a

I remember that, They were going to shine huge lasers on the moon that said Pepsi or something like that.

4. alset macrumors 65816

alset

Looks like a scam. Interesting one, though. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. I'll probably get kicks sending showing this to people for a week.

Dan

5. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Re: Another Internet Fraud? If not, it's weird.

I think this is the same thign I saw on TV a while back in a news report. Basically, this guys decided that he could just decide to be owner of it, and by being first, he thinks he has a claim (never minding international treaties that say there is no owner of the moon). I don't think he's all that serious about it, and of course, no government is going to recognize his claim should the time come when people could actually go to the moon. So its a novelty thing really, and a good way to throw your money away.

6. coopdog thread starter macrumors 6502a

WTF?!

What's wrong with this statement?
    If they have sold 300 millon acres at $30 an acre thats 9 Billion Dollars in 100% profit!!!???

I highly doubt that the owner is a Billonare or even a millonare off this sceme. If so I think the goverment should make them change it to a "Novelty Gift ONLY" status. So people know they are buying peice of paper not the moon. :eek: Year 2003's pet rock. :eek:

7. esternullo macrumors member

Re: WTF?!

i always thought it was going to be the tomagachi again...

why play with electronics when you can have your own land that you can't afford to get to...

8. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

There was one person that registered that if owned the whole solar system (except earth) with someone, but it got overturned in court, it is basically just like this.

9. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

There was a guy who sold land on the moon on Conan once.

I don't know if this website is this man's website though.

I wonder what celebrities owned land, I think the guy might have named a few on Conan, but I have long since forgotten.

scem0

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm not sure if it is fraud or not. It would be more of the novelty idea. Being able to say that I own a piece of property on the Moon.

It reminds me of naming a star after your favored person, it gets registered in an International Registery. For $54.00 plus shipping and handling you get. The International Star Registry gift package includes a beautiful 12" x 16" parchment certificate, available framed or unframed, with the name of your choice, dedication date, and telescopic coordinates of the star. You'll also receive an informative booklet with charts of the constellations plus a larger, more detailed chart with the star you name encircled in red.

http://www.starregistry.com/index.cfm?siteID=3Z3nHdR4IjU-UuNgTqfq%2A0i9pB6scvFiRw

11. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

My Dad bought my mom a star. :)

She has the certificate thing on the wall.

Kind of a cool idea.

scem0

12. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

The star registry is a novelty only however.

Sky and Telescope's say on it....

The international star registry is compiled and maintained by that company. The international group that names stars does not recognize that company. Also they have a couple of competing companies reselling the same stars.

And if your star ever does anything fantastic, it would most likely be named after the astronomer who discovered the fantastic stuff. (if it doesn't have a real name yet.)

13. sahnert macrumors 6502

on the moon page it says "the list of clients is confidential" which is why they cant reveal the identities of the hundreds of celebrities and two us presidents that "own" property on the moon. Confidential and yet they display quotes from satisfied customers with their name and location listed right next to the quote.

I wonder how these "lunar deeds" will hold up when someone decides to colonize the moon or at least drill for resources.