Another iPad Air 3 Design Drawing Points to Smart Connector, Similar Dimensions as iPad Air 2

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 1, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

A new drawing of the unannounced ipad air 3 highlights the dimensions of the device, with the potential for the third generation iPad Air to have similar dimensions as the iPad Air 2 (via Engadget). According to the image, the iPad Air 3 will be 6.15 mm thick and 169.6 mm wide, meaning the new tablet would end up about 0.05 mm thicker and 0.1 mm wider than the iPad Air 2.

Since the dimensions are so close to one another, and factoring in the possibility for rounding and measurement errors, it's a good possibility that the iPad Air 3 will be around the same size as the second generation iPad Air tablet.

[​IMG]
    Image via Engadget​

Today's drawing also supports previous rumors surrounding the iPad Air 3's potential features, including a four-speaker design to boost audio quality in the same vein as the iPad Pro. A Smart Connector port can be seen on the side of the device, which would give the new iPad support for accessories like a Smart Keyboard. Previous case leaks and rumors for the iPad Air 3 have been less consistent on the inclusion of a Smart Connector, with some showing a cutout for the accessory port and some not.

The sketch also supports the rumored addition of a rear-facing LED flash onto the iPad line, which would make the iPad Air 3 the first of Apple's tablets to get the feature.

At the company's September event last year, only the iPad mini received a refresh, along with the debut of the iPad Pro. Due to its elongated lifespan, the iPad Air has been rumored to get its own update during the first half of 2016, potentially at a March media event.

Article Link: Another iPad Air 3 Design Drawing Points to Smart Connector, Similar Dimensions as iPad Air 2

2. penajmz macrumors 68020

penajmz

3. Spendlove macrumors regular

Spendlove

Dilemma, wait for the new iPad Pro 2 or get the iPad Air 3?!

4. Serban Suspended

so if you have a smart keyboard already for the ipad pro, maybe will work for ipad air 3 just will be longer than the product

5. smizzle macrumors regular

smizzle

Interesting that there is still a headphone jack on this. Why would they keep it on the iPad but drop it from the phone?

6. augustya macrumors 65816

augustya

So there we have it, iPad Air-3 will be thicker and wider than the Air-2 what a pity !

7. levitynyc macrumors 6502a

It's still going to be overpriced.

Drop the price to be more in line with the Kindle Fires and I might be interested.

8. jonnyb098 macrumors 68000

Because the iPad is a multimedia device and they want to save the big announcement for the iPhone to make a big splash

9. mdridwan47 macrumors 6502

mdridwan47

If only the Air 3 had 3D Touch it would be perfect for me.
    [​IMG]

10. captain cadet macrumors 6502

The iPad 3 was thicker than the iPad 2

11. Avieshek macrumors regular

Avieshek

Hope, the iPad gets the same 7000-series aluminium as the iPhone and no discrimination.

12. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

From the cases externally it seems that it will be identical to the iPad Pro. What should be interesting is how similar the Air 3 will be to the iPad pro. The iPad Pro was built to "replace your PC" as Tim Cook stated. One of the things I've always loved about Apple is that every product is somewhat similar. For those who don't want to spend the extra money on a 12.9" tablet can purchase the 9.7" tablet with the same functionality. If Apple includes the Apple Pencil with the Air 3. it will defiantly spread to more consumers interested in the smaller iPad, hopefully the Mini and the iPhone.

13. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 603

Michaelgtrusa

Glad to see Engadget as a source that I can trust.

14. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

Have they reached the thinnest point with the Air 2?

Nope.. Air 4 will not have the headphone jack to make it even thinner :p

15. ValO macrumors 6502a

Ok so it will be a " mini" ipad pro with smart connector, but without pencil support, and with a a higher clocked a9, or a lower clocked A9X. With 2 or 3 gb,
    And reading into the other rumors could feature a higher res screen, i think the same res as an ipad pro(2732x2048).

Just dreaming, but why wouldn' t they increase the screensize to 10,1 inch? With the same physical dimensions as the air2(slightly bigger, but with smaller bezels).

They would have an alternative to the smallest macbook air and the pro as an alternative to the bigger macbook air.

They could phase out the traditional macbook air by these 2 ipads and pheriphals and by adding the macbook last year, it would be end of the line of the very old macbook airs.

16. Aluminum213 macrumors 68030

Aluminum213

17. inpinotveritas macrumors newbie

Still no front facing speakers. :( Has anyone designed a clip-on "sound tube" to redirect the side-projecting audio to front-projecting audio?

18. Wowereit macrumors 6502

Yeah, I won't buy a new iPad without 3D Touch.
    It's not like 3D Touch was that great innovation, but I'm using it every day on the iPhone and when I'm switching to my iPad it's not there. If I would still use iPhone 5s or 6 I wouldn't care, but now I try to press it and nothing happens, it's a bit disappointing every time.

19. Yelmurc macrumors regular

I just want it to be able to use the Apple Pencil. The rest is just gravy.

20. pat500000 macrumors 68040

pat500000

Maybe because they sell iPhone with some kind of features like wireless earphone

21. VforVelveta macrumors regular

VforVelveta

I really hope these are accurate, so far the Air 3 is shaping up to be exactly what I want. Pencil support is still the linchpin, so I'm either going to be really happy or really disappointed. :D

22. pat500000 macrumors 68040

pat500000

And 2gb ram at least. Other than I don't know what other features they will on to.

23. procrastinasn macrumors member

Simple: Because iPhone always gets the new technology before iPad?
    Ex: touch ID, retina, 3d touch (not on iPad)

24. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

iPhone is a little more mobile. It goes in your pockets while you listen music or run (or any other exercise) I always use wireless earpiece on my iPhone. Very rarely on iPad as I mainly use it when am at home. So I think wireless makes not so much sense on iPad sit does on iPhone.

25. VforVelveta macrumors regular

VforVelveta

You do realize how small 0.1mm is, right? Could easily just be tolerance in the machining of the case. I doubt you'd even be able to tell the difference between an Air 2 and 3 side by side based on dimensions alone.