Well, about 2 weeks ago the unthinkable happened. My beloved G5 started making sizzling and popping noises and then it just died. Unplugging it and removing the outer cover revealed that the worst that could happen had happened. I'd been bitten by the dreaded G5 coolant leak. Still, I'd paid for Applecare and there was still a couple of months remaining so I was sure that Apple would see that the problem was resolved satisfactorily. I thought about starting a thread here so that my progress through the system could provide a focal point for discussion among those with similar issues and some entertainment for other forum members, but I decided to just let Apple do their stuff. That was 2 weeks ago, but now I'm not so sure. It's now looking like the saga may start to drag on somewhat and so I've decided to document my experiences after all. My first step was to drop into the retail branch of my local AASP and have a chat with a manager there. He advised me take the incontinent beast to their service centre and the problem would be dealt with. Once I got there (by taxi, incidentally) it was a different story. The tech confirmed the leak and the fact that the machine would not start. He then explained that, as it was very likely that multiple parts would have failed, Apple don't allow them the discretion they would require to replace more than one part and I would have to work through Applecare directly. I phoned Applecare from my mobile, hoping for them to give their OK for the repair to be conducted locally but they were unwilling to deviate from their "1 component' guideline, although they arranged for a tech to phone me within 48 hours. Another expensive taxi later and I was back in my flat and starting to get frustrated. The tech from the contractor Apple uses actually phoned that afternoon and arranged a pick-up for the next day, which also went as planned. He phoned back a couple of days later to explain that there was a long wait for the processor block, which was on backorder and that he'd also ordered a power supply. It looked like they'd be waiting a minimum of 3 weeks before getting the part and even then, there was no guarantee that there wouldn't be more damage. Now, a week or so to fulfil the terms of an extended (and paid for) warranty is reasonable but I didn't feel that being deprived of my Mac for at least a month was acceptable and I told him so (politely ). He suggested I talk to Apple and I said I'd do that. Before talking to Apple, though, I did a little research on the internet and found that I'm by no means alone. Cooling system failures on this model aren't as rare as they could be, especially around the 18 - 24 month mark. Some labs running multiple G5s are reporting 15% - 20% failure rate. I rang Apple and asked for customer relations. I asked about the availability of the processor and was told that they'd expedite delivery to their contractors and that it'd get there within 48 hours. I also asked about the failure rate, what would happen if the new processor failed after 18 months and whether they'd extend the warranty to a reasonable level. A resounding "NO" was the reply. A standard 90 days from the date of the repair was all they were prepared to offer. Still, at least the part was on it's way and I'd get my machine back soon, eh? A couple more days brings us up to the present. I've just returned a missed call from customer relations. The original estimate for the processor's availability was correct. Well, I say it was correct. It may well take even longer, for all I know. So here I am with just my lappy, with a minimum three more weeks waiting for my machine; a machine that may or may not be repaired at the end of that time; and even if it is repaired can I ever trust it not to spring a leak again? Still, at least I got the impression that I was talking to someone with a little more seniority at Apple today and she promised to keep me informed of progress. I think I've done all that I can and it sounds like Apple are taking their responsibility seriously, so is it reasonable for me to feel like I'm getting a raw deal here?