Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fujifilm54

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2009
business

yep, I do know how business is done-every penny counts!

Thats why this is important to mee!

In two years when it breaks again, go back to Apple.

Quit whining and get back to work.

P.S. It did "cost Apple" to repair your machine. The parts, the labor, and the customer service time spent trying to explain reality to you are all actual "costs".

Do you understand how business is done in the world?

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
I just had my PowerMac liquid cooled G5, completely rebuilt by Apple because of this failed cooling system, and yes it did cost them more to rebuild it than to just issue me a Mac Pro. They replaced 10 parts including the case itself, because the corrosion had started to eat everything by the time they decided to repair it for free.

I am not complaining that they rebuilt it, but in my mind its a no brainer. The total cost of all the parts they replaced on my computer plus the labor, would far out weigh the cost of the low end MacPro. I think it was just a poor business decision on Apple's part, for not just admitting that the faulty cooling system were at fault for so many users computers; but also for not taking responsibility and just replacing them out right for Refurbished Mac Pros or something of the sort.

Again, i am not complaining. I still quite shocked Apple completely rebuilt it, and am thankful that i now have my faithful G5 back, after waiting two and half weeks for it to be repaired.

fujifilm54

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2009
ta

thank you, interesting sentence on the one of how the parts are, if thery are refurbished nor new parts.

ta

I would have kindly yet firmly asked Apple for a newer replacement Mac Pro. You think Apple will fix this if this were to happen again? Apple must have a large new parts bin unless the parts used to fix your G5 were refurbished.

Also any real "professional" would never be limited to just 1 computer.... This is between you and your insurance company and not Apple. Apple was more than nice enough and did their part in fixing your G5. Just be greatful!

vohdoun

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
Far away from Earth.
I just had my PowerMac liquid cooled G5, completely rebuilt by Apple because of this failed cooling system, and yes it did cost them more to rebuild it than to just issue me a Mac Pro. They replaced 10 parts including to case itself, because the corrosion had started to eat everything by the time they decided to repair it for free.

I am not complaining that they rebuilt it, but in my mind its a no brainer. The total cost of all the parts they replaced on my computer plus the labor, would far out weigh the cost of the low end MacPro. I think it was just a poor business decision on Apple's part, for not just admitting that the faulty cooling system were at fault for so many users computers; but also for not taking responsibility and just replacing them out right for Refurbished Mac Pros or something of the sort.

Again, i am not complaining. I still quite shocked Apple completely rebuilt it, and am thankful that i now have my faithful G5 back, after waiting two and half weeks for it to be repaired.

When it started happening did you notice the heat creeping up at all?

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
When it started happening did you notice the heat creeping up at all?

The last temps i remember it running at before refusing to stay up and running, the temps read around 160 degrees or a little higher. But i would have to say that it used to run/hover around 132 degrees Fahrenheit.

So, i would have to guess that it did, but i can't say for sure though. Does yours seem to be around that range, or hotter?

vohdoun

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
Far away from Earth.
Yeah it runs identical to yours, 132f/55c idle. Dashboard bumps it up to 154f/64c with 38 widgets running or so. Same temps when I got it new if I remember correctly. In fact now that I remember with Tiger it ran 113f/45c idle.

It's not dust by any means. I've been using compressed air cans every month or two or so to blow anything out.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
Liquid Cooled G5s quiet? Hardly.

I sold my G5 2.5 a few months ago and bought an 08 Octo 2.8 when they became "discontinued".

Minus the $ from the sale of the G5 the switch cost less than $1400. Best move I ever made as there were WAY too many reports of leaking.

All's well that ends well.

My dual 2.7 was insanely loud. I think most of the noise was from my graphics card though, I had the GeForce 6800 Ultra in it. It was always loud.

Selling your G5 was perhaps a mistake..

My G5 2.7 died a couple weeks ago, called Apple, free repair, repair didn't work, now I'm getting a free 8-core 2.93 Mac Pro, 8GB RAM, and Radeon 4870.

Should be in the next couple weeks. The machine would be over 7k if I were to buy it (which I certainly can't afford), they're replacing a 4.5 year old computer with a 7k new machine. I don't understand it, but I'm estatic about it.

Anyone know if you buy a used G5, and it leaks you get the same treatment (free repair) from Apple, or is it only original owners?

vohdoun

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
Far away from Earth.
My dual 2.7 was insanely loud. I think most of the noise was from my graphics card though, I had the GeForce 6800 Ultra in it. It was always loud.

It kicks in after a certain temperature. I think it's 75c or there abouts... I've only ever heard it a few times when the room was quite hot. Summertime usually.

Congrats on getting a new machine after 4.5 years.

My G5 usually sits about 55c = 133f, GPU about 64c = 148f. I've managed to store it in an area relatively cool that it barely hardly ever whooshes up and down. Come June I'll hopefully have had mine for 5 years.

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
My G5 2.7 died a couple weeks ago, called Apple, free repair, repair didn't work, now I'm getting a free 8-core 2.93 Mac Pro, 8GB RAM, and Radeon 4870.

Anyone know if you buy a used G5, and it leaks you get the same treatment (free repair) from Apple, or is it only original owners?

Wow. Congrats on your replacement.

Buying a used G5, and then having it leak shouldn't matter. If it leaks, it is a safety hazard. The coolant used in these towers is basically like Automotive coolant. Its corrosive. Hence, why it started to eat away at the Aluminum of my case.

highres

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2005
Near the Singularity
A little worried about my 4.5 year old Powermac Dual 2.7Ghz (bought it in May '05), the last few months it has really started to act up, won't restart when shut down, kernel panics when it does boot, screen stays blank, fans on overload, etc. I've done every maintenance routine known to man including replacing the RAM, video card, and all hardware short of a new motherboard with no luck.

Applecare expired about a year and a half ago and I simply can't afford to buy another comparable system with 8GB RAM, Dual RAID 400GB drives, GeForce Ultra DDL, etc. I paid around $11K originally (price included $3K 30" Apple Cinema Display).

Looks like I am going to have to contact Apple and see what they recommend. rickvanr's posts are somewhat encouraging but I am probably screwed.

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
@highres

Before calling Apple, try to inspect the inside of the case and see if you can spot any fluid leaks. The symptoms you are experiencing are some of the exact symptoms i had before i found the leaks in my case.

highres

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2005
Near the Singularity
Before calling Apple, try to inspect the inside of the case and see if you can spot any fluid leaks. The symptoms you are experiencing are some of the exact symptoms i had before i found the leaks in my case.

That's the odd thing, no visible leaks of any kind, I've removed fans, drives, and examined every inch of the inside (except inside sealed G5 processor units) thoroughly and replaced all the usual hardware culprits that Dual G5's are known for with no success. :(

quantum003

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2009
Superposition

Welll.... About 6 months ago I bought a non-working 2.7Ghz G5 case from a university surplus for $100- it was missing quite a few parts, there was coolant leakage everywhere, logic board was visibly damaged. I fixed it up to the best of my ability and got it running regardless. Once it was running, it immediately started dripping a large amount of coolant, so I took a few pictures of the new leakage and called Apple. The first manager I talked to saw the pictures I sent over and he immediately offered to pay for the repairs; making an appointment for me at the Apple store up the street for later that day. The Genius at the Apple Store took one look inside the G5 and decided to give me a new Mac Pro on the spot instead. I did have to pay $250 for 3 years of Applecare though. :rolleyes:

I was completely honest with Apple about the G5, how I got it and what I did. I truly believe Apple is the greatest company in the world as a result of this experience (and others I have had like it), and I will be a loyal customer for life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.