Another legal advice question

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by blueflame, Apr 9, 2006.

1. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

So, back in 2002 I had a verizon cell phone. I was working at a Gap at the time. This is over a summer, when i would be going back to mass. for school. anyway. my whole family had switched to tmobile, so i joined them, and was goin to cancel my contract. instead someone from work said they wanted a cel phone, and could they take over my plan. i was like, ok sure, ill save the 150 it cost to cancel. so i called to get it switched over to the new owners name. everyhitng was good so i though. well, its been 3 years, i switched back to verizon, becxuase they do have very reliable service. anyway, i get a call, saying i hahve an account that is closed from 2002/2003, and i owe $1200 now, i almost had a heart attack. i got them to send me a copy of the bills, which is like 200 pages long. i dont know a single number. this guy obviously screwed me. now, its still attached to my socila security number and whatnot. it somehow never got transfered over. what am i to do? i called, i dont know why it never got recorded, and i cant find the guy, all i know is his first name. i already called the gap but they could give me no info. am i screwed?
    andreas

2. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

I'd guess they transferred the account over and when the other guy did a runner and you came back they decided to try to get the money from you. If you contacted them and told them to change the account over and they were happy, then you've done your bit, and the responsibility is not yours.

I had something similar (closed my account with a phone service, but they never got around to actually closing it). When I went back to them about 4 years later they said I owed €200. I simply said that I did what was needed of me to cancel the account and that if they wanted me back as a customer they could write off the amount as there was no way on earth I was paying it. They wrote it off straight away.

3. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

did you save any of the paperwork stating you were no longer under contract with the provider?

4. blueflame thread starter macrumors 6502a

blueflame

no, i didnt think to. I just dont understand how they can not have any record of it or anything. likie, i certainly called, im not just gonna let someone have my cell phone.
    but theyw ant to hold it to me. crap
    andreas