Another logic board bites the dust?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by me_94501, Dec 24, 2003.

1. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

Today I was sitting at my iBook, reading my e-mail (and coincedentally, i had a Safari window open to a thread discussing the rampant logic board failures). At one point, my screen flashed to black with some white lines on it. Then a few seconds later it did it again. Then a dark line showed up at the top of the screen and My iBook froze. I called AppleCare. They had me run the Apple Hardware test CD and it found no problems. *shrug* They gave me a case number to refer to if it happens again. Their respomse when I asked about any known issues on the iBook: "There are none that I know of."

Logic board? Another display issue? Freaky coincedence? Please advise.

I hav a 900 MHz ibook G3, 384 MB RAM. It has already been in the shop for a new logic board and hard drive. I'm also on my second power adapter. My iBook is only five months old.

2. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I would definately worry about your logic board. I have a 700mhz iBook and it started the same way. I am now on my third logic board. I hope that is not the case for you, but it sure sounds that way.
    Good luck.

3. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

so you display is still working. i had the same problem. display went out for a day and then came back on. i tapped on the bottom left side of the ibook and the screen went out. i then took it to the apple store and they fixed.

i hate to say this but if your warrenty is about to expire soon i would give your ibook a little love tap in the bottom left. That way the logic board dosn't die when you are out of warrenty. g/l

4. me_94501 thread starter macrumors 65816

me_94501

I am considering asking Apple for a replacement. Three components of my ibook havbe crapped out in its five months of existense (logic board, HD, power adapter, looks like another logic board) and I can't have parts dying every two months! That said, i have a few questions about the iBook G4:
    1)Has anyone had the logic board failure/display lines and freezes issue that is so common on the G3 iBook yet? I know it's still a new model and problems may crop later on, but this issue has popped up on iBook G3s new and old.
    2)What is the overall quality of the G4? How does it compare with that of the G3?
    3)How is the 800 MHz like in comparison to the 900 MHz G3?
    4)I know about the "screen halo" that some people are having, but are there any other common issues I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance. :)

5. me_94501 thread starter macrumors 65816

me_94501

No my screen won't even turn on when I turn the computer on! AIGH!

6. dukemeiser macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

Yep, logic board. I've got a 700 iBook, and I'm on my 4th logic board. Every time it went out, random lines would appear on the screen. Or the screen wouldn't even come on. They'll probably just replace it again. If you scream at them and raise hell, they might replace it to keep you happy.

7. me_94501 thread starter macrumors 65816

me_94501

I'm going to the Apple Store in Emeryville on Friday. My sister's going to come with me, and she's certainly not afraid to give 'em hell. :)

8. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

no point raising hell at the service counter, they just do as they are told. if your going to raise hell do it on the phone, but not at the apple store.

iJon

9. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

A little bit of advice. Ask them if they'll consider replacing the power supply as well (not the AC adapter). I suspect that's the actual reason behind the iBook logic board failures.

I've been in your boat (only once), and they replaced the logic board as well as the power supply. No problems since then.

10. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

11. me_94501 thread starter macrumors 65816

me_94501

Okey Dokey.

That's an idea. Would you suggest holding off asking for a replacement, then?

12. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

If you want a replacement, go for it. I doubt the G4 iBooks have the same problem since they use an entirely different logic board and power supply unit. Be warned, however, that it's uncommon for Apple to replace an iBook until one part has failed three times before, and it's unheard of if it's only happened once.

If you don't get a replacement, try and get them to replace the power supply.