Another Mac Themes Thread: Feedback wanted

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DaiKirai, Feb 14, 2005.

1. DaiKirai macrumors member

Jan 17, 2005
    There have been a lot of these lately, but this one is a little different. I hope. :rolleyes:

I was browsing MacUpdate in anticipation of my Mini and discovered there's several different themers available for OS X:

• Duality
    • ShapeShifter
    • Theme Changer
    • Themer 3G

ShapeShifter is the most popular of these, and the one I usually hear mentioned, but there's a disconcerting amount of dire warnings in the "User Reviews" section; tales of system slowdown, frequent crashes, and having to reinstall OS X to get rid of it. Also, it's the only one that costs money. :D

For this reason, I'd like to give the others some consideration before making a choice. But there's hardly any information on them on MacUpdate. So can I solicit reports of your experiences from any forum members who have tried one or more of these programs?

One thing that doesn't matter too much to me is the selection of themes available. If I can't find one I like, I'll roll my own. :)
  2. MacNut macrumors Core

Jan 4, 2002
    Why would you even need a theme, OS X is perfect as it is now.
  3. DaiKirai thread starter macrumors member

Jan 17, 2005
  4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    i dont know how any of those theme programs run besides Shapeshifter, and although i like it, im just too cheap right now to pay for it because i am a poor poor college student, i too would like to know how the other programs work

one way to find out for yourself would be to create a new user account and use it just to test out these apps, that way if something happens you can just boot into your admin account and delete the test one
  5. DaiKirai thread starter macrumors member

Jan 17, 2005
    For future reference: I went with ThemeChanger (after Duality failed to install.) Although it's a bit long in the tooth, it works great so far. I'm using "Three D Aqua 1.1" as I didn't care for any or the more adventurous themes. I kind of liked the brushed metal, but now my scrollbars aren't hideous, so it's a fair trade. :D

Oh, and iTunes doesn't skin, but I don't plan to use it once I get MPD installed...