Another MacBook Specs Thread

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Caitlyn, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

Jun 30, 2005
    Hi guys.
    Sorry, but I need help picking specs for the MacBook. Yes, it is definite now. I will be getting one.

I'm not sure what specs to get though. My budget is no more than $1250. These are the options I've come up with:

1. 1.83GHz stock with third-party 2GB RAM

2. 1.83GHz with 80GB HD and then 2GB RAM around Christmas time

3. 2GHz with 80GB HD and then 2GB RAM around Christmas time

So, the basic question here is, do I need the RAM right away or do I need the processor? I mean, you can always upgrade the RAM and you can't always upgrade the processor, but...will I be able to survive with 512MB of RAM for a while? I use Photoshop and Dreamweaver. Not excessively, but I mean, like at least once or twice a week for Photoshop. Dreamweaver is rare.

ANY input is much appreciated. Thank ya's!
    -Caitlyn :)
  2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    If you use Photoshop and Dreamweaver periodically, do option #1. Photoshop is RAM-hungry enough ordinarily, running under Rosetta it's ravenous.

Sure, you can't upgrade the processor later, but you're only talking about a 10% increase in speed (a theoretical 10% increase, at that), versus what will be a HUGE difference in actually using the thing between now and Christmas. If you ask me, it's not worth 3-4 months of pokey photoshop for a minor speed boost elsewhere (to be honest, I'm not even sure you'll notice).

Heck if you want another reason, the 1.83Ghz version probably runs a little cooler and gets slightly better battery life, too.

The hard drive, I wouldn't spend the extra money on now. It's VERY easy to upgrade the MacBook hard drive, and with perpendicular drives just starting to hit the market, I'd expect a sudden spike in capacities in the near future. You're much better off saving the money and putting it toward a much larger drive when you eventually need it.
  3. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

Apr 14, 2006
    Clemson, SC
    toughy. but OS X alone doesn't run great on 512 ram, let alone if you're running rosetta apps. what about getting a refurb 2.0 to save some money? and then use saved money to buy ram? you can get the refurbished 2.0 for $1100 + tax, and then buy an extra gig chip now and another gig chip at xmas? that's what i would do.
  4. Caitlyn thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jun 30, 2005
    I forgot about upgrading the HD. So, I have a question regarding that. Once you take out the old drive and put in the new drive what do you do with the old drive? Is there a way to connect it to my iBook and use as an almost, external. Ya know, speaking of which, I forgot to mention that I have a 250GB Lacie external coming in a week.