another mb vs. mbp? thread

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jaka, Nov 20, 2006.

1. jaka macrumors newbie

Nov 20, 2006
    Hey all. I'm in the market to buy a new laptop. My 14" iBook g4 is run into the ground and I need a new computer yesterday. I normally wouldn't consider a high-end machine because I primarily use my computer for writing, email, dvds, podcasting, garageband recording, and emulator games. However, my finances, though not great, make it possible for me to consider a Pro. The possible hundred off option on Black Friday makes this more enticing.

One of the reasons for considering the Pro is that my iBook got run down so quickly. I feel that if I had a Powerbook I would have had a little more mileage. Also, I have a new neighbor, a PC guy, who is crazy about gaming and I'm kinda getting the bug. Obviously I'd want the video card in the Pro if I wanted to go near any of this stuff.

I'm debating between the Blackbook and the entry level Pro. A 500 dollar difference. I'd add more ram if I got the blackbook.

My final question, if I do go for the pro, is glossy vs. non. I just can't seem to figure out which I'd prefer, and the option for either makes the choice more complicated.

2. davidjearly macrumors 68020

Sep 21, 2006
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Well it all depends on you.

I would forget about the blackbook, get either a fully loaded white MB or an entry MBP. Your needs say you only require the MB specs, but it depends on what you like and if you are willing to spend just to have 'want you want' and not, 'what you need'.

As per glossy vs matte, I use my Macs for a lot of imaging work and don't feel the glossy screen affects my colour space at all. Considering I benefit from it in almost every other circumstance anyway. Others however, do feel that they need the matte for 'pro' work. This is really a personal thing though - there are no givens.

Also, the glossy on the MB/MBP isn't the same as those on a cheap glossy wintel machine. They are very good, aren't very reflective and don't affect photo work really at all in my opinion.

3. jaka thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 20, 2006
    I should add that I considered the blackbook because i'll be buying in the store -- delaware is one state away and thus no sales tax
  4. daneoni macrumors G4

Mar 24, 2006
    Pretty much what david said is what i'd say. However i chose a MBP over MB simply because the longevity is there for me. With vista/leopard coming and the requirements not being clear i chose to get a machine with a decent card. So i dont have even the slightest regret Also the 13.3" is just waay too small for me. I'd get used to it but i kinda didnt want to.

The white MB *may* be better but i'd get the BlackBook, there's just something about it.......

As for glossy, amazingly beautiful. I was very skeptical but im loving it thusfar.
  5. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

Aug 14, 2006
    I do a lot of graphics work and also periodically play some games. I recently switched from a 17" Macbook Pro to a Core2Duo Blackbook and I'm loving it. I customized it with 2 GB or RAM and a 160 GB HDD. It seems like a very quick system and everyday tasks and well as the more demanding ones work very well on it. I'd also like to point out that I am continuously getting about 3.5 hours of battery life on my laptop.

If you do end up going with the Macbook Pro- get matte all the way to the bank.
  6. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

Aug 14, 2006
    I agree with you 100%. My friend owns a VERY high end wedding photography company and does 50% of his work on a glossy macbook pro.
  7. jaka thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 20, 2006
    hate to admit it, but my interest in WoW is also a factor. I'm assuming even a maxed out MB wouldnt run it properly, right?
  8. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

Mar 29, 2004
    Boston, MA
    buy a macbook for portability. with the money you save from not buying the mbp buy a cheap dell for gaming. the dell is gonna be faster for gaming than the mbp for sure. and it's alway a plus to have two machines in case one makes trouble.