Another Moto products delay? How strange...

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by the future, Sep 28, 2003.

1. the future macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2002
  2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    no real surprise looking at moto's recent history, lets hope all macs are g5's by this time next year.
  3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH

This comes as no surprise to me given Motorola's history. I wonder if Moto's PowerPC chip division was sold yet or if not, will it ever be? If and when it IS sold off, what effect, if any, will this have on Apple (hopefully none to minimal)?
  4. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

Mar 10, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    I hope Apple just ditches Motorola altogether, switches the Pro line to G5 and the rest to the Gobi G3 (with or without Altivec) - Then they can begin looking fod a secondary processor provider. Then the only thing (hopefully) slowing procut releases will be design issues!
  5. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

Mar 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Re: D'oh!

What would happen if Apple were to buy it? I know they've always gone for outside providers, but wouldn't that be interesting? They've got something like 6 Billion dollars saved. Not sure how IBM would feel about it, but I think it would make things interesting.
  6. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    Although Tundra didn't buy Motorola's PowerPC division (just it's "Host Bridge line of computer interconnection technology, in which microchips connect main processors to other systems"), it probably could have. Not sure if it should have though. Everyone is probably better off not even bothering, though in the right hands it could have been something much better. Like with IBM.

I can't help thinking of M$ and their new relationship with Moto with that new phone. I know they like to follow Apple's lead, but maybe they should have learn from their mistake and found another vendor. Now you see why Apple hasn't come out with a Moto powered iPhone.
  7. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

Jan 14, 2002
    South Dakota, USA
    I never understand people that want the G4 products to go back to a G3. I am still using G3 products and they are fine, but after using G4 based Macs, there is NO comparison. Why would Apple ditch the Moto G4 especially if the G3 does not include Alti-Vec. The 750vx, that people claim IBM is coming out with is about 2 years away. What you are saying in this statement, is that even if the G3 does not include Alti-Vec use it anyway. I can see it now, introducing the all new G3 powered eMac and iMac's, we got rid of that silly Velocity Engine and that stupid SuperDrive with iDVD.
  8. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Jun 23, 2003
    St Augustine, FL
    This 1.25 GHz G4 is so much faster than my G3 in every way that it just blew me away when I booted into OS X. OMG, I nearly creamed myself! I can't imagine a G5 after a half a week of using this, I'd probably drop dead and go straight to Macintosh heaven right then and there. I can just see it now...glowing keyboard clouds and instead of harp music, I hear the mighty Macintosh startup "bong".
  9. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
    Remind me not to be in the same room as you next time you boot up your Powerbook again.
  10. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    Hehe... what if he'd peed his pants though?:D
  11. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Jun 23, 2003
    St Augustine, FL
    It's a good thing I didn't put up any full body pics for someone to photoshop and make to look like I did!
  12. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Apr 10, 2003
    The "Garden" state
    Moto just sucks these days. they used to have awesome phones, but i have a moto phone im stuck with for another 1.5 yrs, and it blows. poor reception someitmes, and the battery life is not what it claims. grr...