another mp3 player?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by knicksfan58, May 29, 2004.

1. knicksfan58 macrumors member

i need an mp3 player for the mac, but don't want to spend upwards of $200 on it. is there any alternative to the ipod that is compatible with the mac?

2. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

3. dopefiend macrumors 6502

You won't find a used iPod for under 200 Im sure.

4. Gherkin macrumors 6502

You can get a 5 GB iPod for around $160 on eBay.

5. Elbeano macrumors regular

If you can stretch the money a little bit, I would reccomend the Rio Karma. It's 20 gig, and is USB 2.0. It's smaller than the iPod, and what is perhaps the coolest feature about it is the docking station. It has an ethernet port so you can use it as a network hard drive, or just share all of your music with anything that it is connected to while it's in the dock. You can find them online for around 250. Try walmart.com, and see if they have them in stock. That's actually the cheapest place I found for them.

6. knicksfan58 thread starter macrumors member

7. Elbeano macrumors regular

I don't know that any MP3 player that is not an iPod is compatable with iTunes. That said, I think the Karma, and most any other hard drive based players are as simple as drag and drop. I suppose since you can use the Karma as a network drive, you can just set up iTunes to use that for where to put your music (just make sure you're encoding junk in MP3). I'm very jealous of any of this however, because the last MP3 player I bought was a 64 meg Rio 500 for 200 dollars. I have individual songs that are bigger than that now.