Another new DS by 2007?

Discussion in 'Games' started by paddy, Feb 23, 2006.

1. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

This link looks fairly interesting...http://www.gameshout.com/news/022006/article3321.htm A good point was made though, if the GameboyAdvance wasn't updated as many times, it probably wouldn't have been as good a seller as it is. This can only be a good thing as its going to take a lot of work for the DS to beat the PSP.

2. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

What do you mean. beat the PSP? It's still outselling the PSP.

3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Considering that the DS is beating the PSP to a bloody pulp in Japan, it's not going to take that much work ;)

To be honest, I don't see how the DS could get any smaller. You wouldn't make the screens smaller because it's hard to tap stuff, especially when designers made them to be a certain size. The DS lite makes it small enough that even GBA games stick out, and the size of GBA games dictate how thin it can be. The width is limited by the size of the screen and buttons, and without making those smaller it can't get much smaller. The height is dictated by the screen size. So I really see no way to make a DS Micro.

They've already made the screen brighter. New colors are the only thing I can see. Any redesign would be minor at this point, even in 2007, unless they made the thing razor thin (or should I say RAZR thin?) and just put a bulge where GBA games go, which would look ugly.

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

The DS lite is slim enough for me and i'm not feeling that smaller screen crap. I think it's going to be interesting in the next couple of month when the PSP makes its one year birthday and new games start hitting the stores...like right now...Fight Night Round 3 is lovelyful.

I'm enjoying both.....keep em coming Nintendo/Sony.

Bless

5. paddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

paddy

The PSP isn't going to be that easy to beat, at least not here in Ireland where shops dedicate a lot more space towards the PSP than the DS and to the best of my knowledge its beating it in sales. That makes it harder to get DS games. All I'm saying is that improving the DS can only be a good thing.

To me it doesnt matter if the DS its outselling the PSP in Japan it's not going to make it easier for me to get PAL games.

I know a lot of my friends at any rate are buying the PSP mainly because it looks better.

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Well, that I'm aware of the DS is outselling the PSP in every region.

In some it's very close (US and UK), in others it has a notable lead (a lot of Europe), and in some it's absolutely MURDERING the competition (Japan), but it is in fact in the lead everywhere, I think. I'm not too familiar with UK sales though. Perhaps your specific region has PSP being more popular, but USUALLY it's not.

7. paddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

paddy

.But it does seem to be getting an awful lot more shop space here which should mean more sales. I could be wrong of course :p

8. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

jimmi! help us! he knows all about DS selling stats, but I'm pretty sure the DS is winning everywhere, and theres no chance of the PSP winning anytime soon...

9. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Who cares about which system is selling more?

Settle down you fanboys...

Also, thanks Nintendo, for making me buy the same system - three times - again.

Bastards.

I swear, they probably designed the DS to perfection a year and a half ago (the version we will see in 2007) and then decided to release 'downgraded' variations of it first to maximize profit...

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Well, Sony's advertising campaign is much better. I know that in the U.S. Sony has the popular vote; i.e. most people say, "Oooh, PSP is so awesome, I want one! But I can't afford it, too bad." Sony has really pushed it into people's minds that the PSP is 'cool' and 'hip'. However, the DS sells more because people can't afford to actually get a PSP and games methinks, plus the games lineup isn't that good.

11. kineticpast macrumors member

Let me see if I've got this right...

Nintendo is forcing you to upgrade your DS? No? Then presumably they are remotely disabling your DS so it no longer works. That isn't the case either? Oh. Well, I can only guess that Nintendo has created an update that is good enough to compel you to purchase it. Bastards!

I guess you think it would have been much better had Nintendo not released anything this year. Huh? That isn't the case? Oh, you just wanted a new, non-DS system to be released then? So had they renamed the DS Lite the 'Nintendo BS' you would be happy?

Personally I'm quite happy with Nintendo (probably because I haven't bought one of their handhelds yet), my gripe is with Apple. They forced me to buy the same Powerbook system about 20 times! They've finally caught on and released a different system, but I'm sure they actually designed the Intel Core Duo system 15 years ago and just downgraded it so they could make millions and millions of moneys!

I propose that every technology company only release new products every four years so I can afford the upgrade and don't feel bad that I don't have the absolute cutting edge a few months after a purchase.

12. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

If I've read this right, you mean that you can't buy DS games in the shops because there are too many PSP games.

The solution to this is to import - there is no region encoding or PAL/NTSC difference on DS games. You can buy games from anywhere and they will work on your DS - I have imported several games from Hong Kong and America well before the UK release date and have had no problems. Give Lik-Sang a go - they've always been good for me.

13. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

i don't think it will receive a redesign, the DS just got one so soon because it was absolutely hideous and bulky. Now with the DS Lite it's great in every aspect more or less, so i think the only "new" revision would be to add more colors :p .

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I know nothing about the figures sorry :eek: at least not at the moment.

There won't be a 3rd one for a very long time. the DS is a one off (we think). So its shelf life will probably be a very long one before the system loses 1st party support.
    Unless they plan on making a more cost-effective one as the machine is dying. Think the reintroduction of the SP but with a new case. I'd say Micro but its probably quite expensive to produce.

IF there is only ever 1 DS then I think we may see a 3rd and final incarnation. IF the DS series continues with the DS2 etc, then I believe the DS lite will be the final DS1.

As for the DS/PSP shelf space. In England, in ALL the game shops I've seen the PSP has masses of shelf space whereas the DS and GBA get a little shelf each. The best selling system of all time and the current best selling system. I don't worry about that though. The DS is still outselling in the UK even with its kiddy image, ugly machine and less shelf space. A device so cool, so modern, so 'mature' has no power to beat Nintendo in the handheld market. so meh. even with the attention the PSP has it cannot match the DS in the primary front; games.

I don't know who could find the figures out. Forgetting console sales what are the games sales figures for both machines? It'd be interesting what with the PSP's homebrew and UMD scene.

15. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

I think the secret to the DS' appeal is the wide range of people who have bought it. Over the last couple of weeks in particular, I have noticed more and more people using a DS on the train into work.

Whereas the PSP seems to appeal to the stereotypical 'gamer' (i.e. teens/twenties racing games and shooters) the DS seems to have a much broader appeal - as well as the usual type of people playing, I have also seen women and middle aged men having a go.

I'm not trying to start a DS vs PSP debate, but it just seems that the demographic is very different.

16. cubist macrumors 68020

Thanks, Jimmi. Just to point out, shelf space has no correlation with unit sales. Back in 1959 Ford dealerships were full of Edsels.

The current PSP is expensive and bulky, and built on an obsolescent platform (MIPS RISC). I imagine Sony will have to completely replace it with something more compatible with the PS3. Its future is a big question mark.

17. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Total UK sales as of December 10th 2005:
    GBA: 4,500,000
    DS: 778,000
    PSP: 598,600

Interestingly, DS games outsold PS2 games in Japan last year, despite the PS2 having a much larger user base.

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I think we should just get all these messages deleted in this thread and replace with a unified message "The DS and it's games are selling like hot cakes"

amazing what happens when you don't focus on graphics, with a cheap system and cheap games with more gameplay than a stick shaking giraffe... What? no! I was on about the DS, not the Rev ;)

19. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Just FYI, but is pretty likely that there will be another DS itteration next year. Reggie (practically) says so... http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/20/the-engadget-interview-reggie-fils-aime-executive-vice-preside/

No idea what they could be planning, but if I had to guess it'll just be a (set of) special edition systsm(s)... say a DS Lite with the web browser and some PDA software in the firmware? Myabe a better (higher cap/lighter) battery? Built in media functions (maybe include a media player and a GBA to SD card adaptor)?

Just some ideas.

20. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Well, chieftain. See, the problem is that Nintendo loves to do this with their handhelds on a yearly basis. It's almost as if they design their products to be inferior. For example, you still to this day, cannot get a lit GBA without needing some proprietary cable to connect the units (to the Gamecube or to another GBA) or to use headphones (SP). The original GBA has no light, the SP has no headphone jack, the Micro doesn't use the same connector / power cables.

Do you see how this could possibly be annoying to the consumer?

In the world of consumer electronics, video game systems aren't supposed to be updated yearly like computers. Not sure if you missed the memo on that or not.

Secondly, don't steal 'Invader Zim' terminology. Come up with your own.

See, you can't go comparing computers to consumer electronics. Consumer electronics are often times planned to become obsolete within a certain amount of time. A prime example of Apple doing this would be with the iPod.

They release a new iPod, roughly, every four months. Obviously, they do this to maximize profit. The iPod is a cash cow. If they released a new notebook every four months, they would hardly see the kind of returns that they do with the iPod. Granted, it's a bit more complicated than that, but in the end, that's their goal.

And sure, sometimes, they are loaded with new features. However, there are little things that they still do (much like Nintendo). For example, making all prior accessories incompatible, due to the ever-slimming form factor. Or maybe, the fact that older iPods have the processing power to play video, but won't, simply because Apple obviously isn't in the business of pleasing owners of 'old' iPods. Or worse, they design a flaw such as an inferior battery to 'force' consumers to replace their product within a year.

Who can blame them? They're in the business of selling products.

As for your obnoxious comment of not updating technology every four years...

Well, that's typically how video game systems are updated - even longer usually. The 'updates' usually come in the form of a smaller version, but even then, they cost less or the same amount as the previous version. For example, the slim PS2 costs the same as the original PS2. Whereas Nintendo handhelds cost more as they are re-released, and often times lose features.

One has to wonder why the 'Micro' doesn't cost less than the 'SP'. Afterall, it's smaller and it does [/i]less[/i]. You can only play 'GBA' games on the unit, and yet, it costs more than the 'SP'. Granted, it has a headphone jack.

Just so we're clear, and we avoid any more of your posts that address me as if I'm some sort of fanboy that doesn't rationalize or comprehend the market: I understand nobody is forcing me to buy something. There are no guns pointed to my head. I understand that they're 'improving the product'. I realize that my current, poorly designed, cheap DS still plays games.

The point is, Nintendo most likely had thought of including a web browser, making the screens better, etc. before they even released the DS in late 2004. And how can you not find it amazing that they admit we will probably see another 'new' DS within a year?

Then yes, I would prefer to not have them release another 'stepping-stone' model. I would rather wait until 2007 when they release the DS which will most likely top the 'DS Lite' in every possible way. But of course, it may also lack a headphone jack, or more realistically, a GBA port.

It has nothing to do with the branding, the name, etc. It has everything to do with how Nintendo chooses to conveniently do this with every handheld, once a year.

It's simply frustration.

Does that satisfy your superiority complex?

edited typo

21. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

IMHO, the DS outselling the psp is a worthless thing. Dell outsells Macs so whats the point?

A Camry outsells a 3 series BMW, so whats the point? PSP = All in one high end gaming handheld. DS = pure old school games. (dont give me the crap about inovations cause a duel screen with touch on it is nothing, hello pda?)

22. paddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

paddy

O.K so, can you name any PSP games that are more fun and original than any of the following games - Mario Kart DS, Castlevania DS, Super Mario 64 DS, Nintendogs?

At the end of it all they are both gaming machines, like it are not and the DS is just better for games. The fact that its cheaper is bonus. If the PSP came out with some games that were as good as some current DS games I would consider it but I can't justify paying €300+ for a console that is mediocre for gaming, music and movies. It has a good screen and graphics granted but it needs but for the moment thats it.

23. Timepass macrumors 65816

I hated how they updated the GBA. It had one real update during it life, that update was the GBA to the SP. And what tick me off the most is they had planned on doing that from the begining. Get people to buy a GBA and then wait a little while and then release the SP and get people to buy that system as well. Mind you I am very happy with my GBA. I thinking about getting a DS after a price drop or 2.

24. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

PSP = jack of all trades, master of none. It's a more powerful gaming handheld but it lacks third party support or decent FPS control (no second joystick, not that great games lineup). Movie player? UMD's are doing horribly in the marketplace, as they cost more than DVD's but can only be played on a small screen and lack the extra features. Music player, sure, if you buy a bigger memory card (PSP only takes Sony Memory Sticks, the most expensive type of card).

The DS on the other hand has some amazing games, many more highly rated and extremely fun games than the PSP.

Compare. IGN has given three above-9 scores to PSP games.

PSP:
    DS:
    Plus there's Animal Crossing, which I'm very surprised didn't get a 9.0 considering the sheer number of people addicted to it. And the upcoming games like Xenosaga, Final Fantasy IIID, Metroid Prime Hunters, Tetris DS, the new Super Mario Bros, etc...lots of recently released screenshots of a lot of Japanese RPGs whose names I can't remember, too.

And the dual screens (learn to spell it right!) is innovative. Don't knock it till you've used it extensively. It's a brilliant setup. A PDA doesn't have this. It lets you put the stylus on the bottom screen to control your character on the top screen in games like Metroid Prime Hunters with PERFECT FPS control like a mouse, or move your characters (like you might on a PDA in this case) around in an RTS. And PDAs aren't gaming rigs btw.

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It may be worthless to you, but not to Sony who want sales that the DS is snatching away.

I've got a PDA! Hell if I can play anything with real value on it. I'm limited to glorified mobile phone games. Worms World Party is just terrible. Can't name individual worms, of if you can then its not obvious=bad design=bad value.

Pure old school games? Right. we have the first true handheld FPS (discounting Socom because of the horrible, horrible control and Goldeneye DS because, well it was a little tripe) coming out in a month that is far from old school. The only old school game that comes to mind is the new Mario Bros DS game. Which is brilliant because its a game people have been screaming for for years... A NEW 2D Mario.

I half agree with your "selling more" logic. People will always buy whats best for them unless advertising tells them different. That's why Dell sell more (as well as the lower price point), that's why the DS sells more.