Another New MSN 5.1. you guessed it 1

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Cabbit, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

MSN 5.1.1 was lanched yesterday. its still ppc only but its getting upgraded now. mabey they plan to bring the windows and mac to the same level for Windows Live Messanger 8 final(what was wrong with MSN Messanger).

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

So what's new in the 5.1.1 version? I'll bet it's more stuff for their corporate useless crap. Everybody i know uses Messenger but we're still stuck with and old, outdated version.

Carn Microsoft, pull your finger out and give us feature parity between apps. I'm sure Windows users want Office feature parity (we have the best version of Office hands down) so if you can do that for your biggest software suite surely you can do it for a pissy web chat client.

Or maybe everyone bar the Janitors are working on Vista. Actually, I think the Janitor may have designed the UI...

3. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

messenger is rubbish always has been always will be for the Mac -

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

5. Cabbit thread starter macrumors 68020

Cabbit

well on my intel celeron(sorry i know mac mini in two months) on 5.1.0 there used to be a lag in typeing text like i would type a word and it would have a little delay. now its a lot quicker, i use adium as well but its not quite the same as msn. i remember amsn on linux will never use it again could not even come close to gaim

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well I use amsn because it lets me use a webcam. Haven't had many problems with it at all. Receiving files screwed up one important time, though. :(

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

You mean the feed cut out before you'd reached your goal?? Damn Abs, that sucks....;) :D

8. Cabbit thread starter macrumors 68020

Cabbit

wonder if 5.1.2 is the uni bin. comon its not that hard to bring out a uni bin is it. its not like there are as many features as the windows one to test in uni bin config or mabey this is M$ "look how slow macs are at even simple things like messanger"

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

SHE TOLD ME SHE WAS 18, I SWEAR!!!!!!

10. i.Feature macrumors 6502

i.Feature

Ahh the internet at its finest.. :D

11. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Yup sure she did. You should be happy the tranfer failed....it was stanley sending you a picture of his moo moo.

Bless

12. Cabbit thread starter macrumors 68020

Cabbit

HEY! some people need messanger, none of my friends use aim it has america in the title, and few use yahoo, none of them can afford macs so no ichat. so a lot of us are stuck with messanger and achually i find it to be the best. it has nice sounds i can achually hear. i dont need to hear a sound when i send a message or reseve one when the window is open. All we need is a more feature complet version

13. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

...it only took about seven posts.....;)

14. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

Finally . . . Microsoft Fixed it

You'll be glad to know that this version of MSN Messenger has finally been fixed so that it will automatically reconnect if it loses connection.

Previously if you lost the connection it sat with a dialog box saying 'You've lost connection . . blah blah' and waited for you to click OK before it started to reconnect (Problem being if you were away from your computer, there's no-one there to click the OK Button).

I e-mailed Microsoft about it a while back and basically got fobbed off, so I'm glad they've finally they've fixed it.

15. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

You could use Fire or similar... sometimes I wonder why microsoft bother with messenger - its a poor excuse for a messaging client. totally and utterly lacking.

16. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I guess you don't use Chinese. I noticed that aMSN just won't do anything but Roman character languages. MSN Messenger does it well, though, and Mercury Messenger does it acceptably although switching usually ends up being slow enough that I end up with a mix.

17. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

What about Adium?

Other than lack of webcam support, I really like Adium.

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Oh you're right. aMSN won't display chinese characters at all. I get a bunch of boxes beside my friends' names when they have anything written in chinese. Most of my friends aren't chinese, but some are, and it kind of sucks that I can't copy and paste their name into the language translator widget to see what their name means. ;)

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Wait! Translator? Oh dear, that means that you can't read or write Chinese?

I find it quite useful when talking to friends from Singapore or Malaysia when the English doesn't meet. Thankfully, plenty of characters are shared still between Chinese and Japanese so I can enter them more quickly in Mercury Messenger. It's also one of the good reasons to use MSN/Microsoft Messenger.

Apparently, aMSN doesn't take (any/full) advantage of ATSUI.

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Hellz no, I can't read any of it. Well, some words. Imagine a 3 year old's level of reading chinese. :p

I never needed to read it. I grew up in a jewish neighbourhood and didn't have any chinese friends, have very very few relatives in Canada, and it's simply difficult to memorize all those words when you never ever ever need to use them. Then around 15 minutes away, a massive chinese neighbourhood that stretches for around a 15 minute drive started to build around 10-15 years ago, and THEN I guess I could have used it.

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

As long as you don't need video chat, Adium beats anything else

22. Cabbit thread starter macrumors 68020

Cabbit

all i want is video and voice in the offical MSN messanger like yahoo messanger dose. perhaps some uni bins would be good too.