another new switcher!!!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by sarae, Oct 4, 2004.

1. sarae macrumors 6502

Excuse me if I'm just clogging up the board with yet another "I just got..." thread, but I'm so excited!!! I ordered my 12" PB rev C on the very last day of Cram + Jam, and it had a scheduled arrival date of 10-6. Imagine my surprise when it showed up early this morning. (So early in fact, that the Fedex guy buzzing my apartment actually woke me before the alarm. Let me tell you, that was one time I didn't mind waking up before I needed to for class. :D )

Anyways, it was soooo hard to go through my 11 hours of class + work until I could come home and break open my new baby... now I just have to get around to setting everything just so.

I want to thank everyone here who either replied to my questions, or replied to earlier threads that had my questions. Y'all rock! :)

P.S. My apartment complex has free cable internet. However, I was a little bummed when I realized I'd either have to stay wired, or shell out more $$ for a wireless router. Let's just say I'm very thrilled to find out that several of my neighbors have wireless routers themselves...and we're all sharing the same connection anyway, so I don't feel too bad. I do have one question - is there something I should do special to avoid letting them get my doc's?

2. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Congrats, hope you'll be as happy as the rest of us. I love mine to death.
    As for your question, just turn off Personal File Sharing in the preferences. Or click info on a folder and set it so you can only access it.
    Have fun with your new tool/toy. And no, you're not clogging up anything... it's always nice to hear those stories if they're not just one sentence posts. This is what this board is for also. :)

3. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    congrats

yeah turn on filesharing or you could turn on the firewall

4. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Congratulations on your new Mac. As others have already said in the preferences panel (looks like a light switch with the Apple logo) in the dock, or click on the Apple logo, click on sharing. If personal file sharing is turned off Mac users cannot access your files ( but they would still need to enter your name and password to connect). Turning off Windows Sharing would prevent Windows users from doing the same.

While if you are all sharing the same connection, I can't see any harm with connecting to their access points, but it would be polite to ask, as from the router they will see that someone has connected. This is also assuming that they have not turned access security on, in which case you would need to ask them for the password anyway.

5. sarae thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, all file sharing is off. I would ask... if I knew what apartment they were in. When I first connected, also, there were about four or five wireless connections, one of which required a password. I'm planning on getting my own wireless connector eventually but this is just great for the time being, so I don't have to be wired around my apartment.

As for my new toy, it's tons of fun! It's crazy, actually - I've been using osx for about two years at my part time job, so I felt more than comfortable with the platform... but it's a bit different now that I get to configure everything myself!