Another newbie/potential switcher

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Nutella, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Nutella macrumors member

Hello all! I'm so glad I found this website. Let me introduce my situation, then a couple of very very very basic questions.

I'm a long time PC user looking to purchase my first notebook. The reason is that I plan to head over to Italy for about 3 months (maybe longer) and want to have my own computer for my digital photography, plus emailing, writing and internet. Was looking at Dell, Toshiba, IBM, then it occurred to me - why not think outside the box and look at a Mac! I practically made up my mind to buy the 12" Powerbook, but now I'm wavering between that and the 12" ibook.

Now, some questions:
    1. For someone who's used to a very low powered machine - I can do my nails in the time it takes for one of my images in Photoshop Elements to rotate - will I be thrilled enough with the ibook, or should I still go for the powerbook?
    2. Does a Mac come with instructions? I have no idea how to even open or save a file. (Come to think of it, I don't remember ever learning to use a pc, I guess I just learned by doing.)
    3. Might we expect a Christmas sale (was there one last year) or any kind of rebates? I can get a student discount, but a little more would be nice too!

Thanks! :)

2. Nutella thread starter macrumors member

Oops, I forgot, one more question:

4. I'm assuming my warranty will be valid internationally - Does anyone have experience getting warranty service overseas?

Thanks!

3. joker2 macrumors 6502a

joker2

Thinking outside the box

Instead of price, I'm thinking your choice comes down to durability. If you're going to be carting it around loose in your backpack, the iBook is the way to go. If it's going to sit on your desk in your room or you're going to get a form-fitting case and not be using it while sitting on a ledge, then by all means -- go for the powerbook. (in reference to some people having reported their iBooks falling from X distance and still working...)

You mentioned photography... are you thinking about getting into "home" movies at any point in the future? If so, the Superdrive equipped PowerBooks would be a good future investment.

You're looking at a computer that will last you for many years... think beyond the next three months and see what you'll be doing. Either will do your basic writing, e-mailing, internet and photo work.

(I'm going through a similar dilemma myself, upgrading from a PowerBook 1400c to either a 14" iBook or a 15.2" PowerBook? :) )

Edit: I don't know anything about service internationally, sorry...

...and, saving a file is pretty much "universal" nowdays... within an application (that you launched by double clicking on it... it's located in the "applications" folder...), you create your document, and then go to File->Save or File->Save As... and you will be dumped by default (in most applications) to naem save the file in your "Documents" folder that resides within your user folder. If you really want to, you can change the location you want to save your document within that dialog box. Granted, the dialog box looks a bit different, but its functionality is the same.

4. joker2 macrumors 6502a

joker2

also...

found on AppleCare Protection Plan (emphasis mine).

As for a Christmas sale? Somehow, I think the only one who knows that is Steve Jobs. :)

5. Nutella thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your response!

I just plan to get the combo drive, no need for DVD write. Heck, I don't even know what a DVD is (I still have my old 8-tracks! Oops, just gave away my age).

The indestructability of the ibook is very appealing to me, although I don't plan to cart around my notebook all the time. Probably only once a week or so, to find a freestation hotspot where I can connect to the internet.

Powerbook vs ibook does seem to be a common dilemma. Maybe Heads Powerbook, Tails... :D

6. rt_brained macrumors 6502a

Flip for the iBook for now and use a card reader to xfer your photos if you're shooting digital. The new G4 iBooks are plenty powerful for use with P-shop Elements.

As your needs grow, look at the 15" or 17" Powerbooks. If you shoot digital, you'll dig the PCMCIA slot as it's much faster to xfer photos via PCMCIA card than a USB card reader.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I got my 12" PB on Oct 4th, and when they announced the new 12" iBooks, I was a bit peeved. I basically do the same things you do with your computer, so I guess I was in a similar situation 1 month ago.

I'm going to Australia for a year, so an international warranty was important. Apple provides that. IBM does as well (a 1-year international warranty), but if you extend it to 3 years, it automatically becomes a 3 year national warranty. That isn't what I needed. The Gateway 200X was also an option (its an amazing laptop), but the warranty was only a North American warranty.

Anyway, I was pissed when I heard the initial specs of the 12" iBook, since that would suit my needs fine (for today), but after a 30 minute shock, I was still thrilled that I got the 12" PB instead of the iBook. The keyboard on the iBook isn't good (the PB keyboard is perfect), the LCD is dimmer, and the iBook isn't as fast since it only has half the cache memory as the PB contains. And then there's the 200 MHz gap on top of that....

My computer is probably 30-35% faster than the new 12" iBook, and since a computer for me is a very long term investment (4 years or more), I'm glad I purchased the best machine I could afford right now. All the differences I mentioned will be even bigger issues after using it over many years.

If concerned about durability, don't be. The PB is very durable, and you can always get a laptop sleeve case (so that you can slip it into your backpack) or get a laptop backpack if you want to carry it around safely, yet discretely. No point carrying around a typical laptop bag in a foreign country, since it screams "Please rob me".

8. Nutella thread starter macrumors member

RtBrained, not sure I need a card reader. Right now I just hook up my camera via the USB port to download images, it's not the speediest, but I don't really mind (I guess I'm used to everything being slow as molasses so I don't know what I'm missing!). Or is there something I don't understand?

Abstract, I'm happy to hear you're happy with your decision! I'm convinced both models are good - and I think that agonizing and over-analyzing which is the better choice is starting to make me go insane... so I think I'm gonna pay another visit to the Apple store, play with both, and see which one "speaks to me" :)

9. joker2 macrumors 6502a

joker2

That sounds like a good idea. I'm now leaning towards a 12" powerbook... too bad the Tyson's Corner, VA store is closed for renovation! (or so I've heard)

10. Nutella thread starter macrumors member

But Shadow, you're supposed to NARROW DOWN your choices, not add new ones! :D

11. joker2 macrumors 6502a

joker2

Nothin' says I can't change the rules (or criteria for a machine, in this case :) )

12. joker2 macrumors 6502a

joker2

Got one!

This post brought to you by a brand new G4, 1GHz, 12" PowerBook! (with combo drive)

I love this thing!!

13. evil macrumors 6502

hell i paid 2699 CDn for my 12 pbook 867! thats a whole hell of a lot. for what you do save the price and get an ibook. use the left over cash to upgrade the ram (not from apple) or something.
    dont get me wrong, i love my pb, but i think for you the ibook is definately adequate.