Another newbie question

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by brian0526, May 19, 2003.

1. brian0526 macrumors regular

I am trying to evaluate a program called "Sticky Brain". It's supposed to have contextual menus (control click and the Sticky Brain menu pops up). They're not working. When I looked at Chronos Software's website, it said the StickBrainMenu.plugin was supposed to be in the Contextual Menu Items folder. It's not. I tried to put it in there manually. But, I get a message saying that folder "Can't be modified".

I think I'm misssing something here. But, I'm not sure what.

thanks
    brian

2. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Most probably you need root or at least admin rights to change the directories content. Copy the file in terminal by using the "sudo" command. You will be asked for the password.

3. brian0526 thread starter macrumors regular

Sounds kind of scary. Is it possible I'd need to do this to install a software package? Supposedly, Stick Brain was supposed to install the plugin when I dragged it to the Applications folder.

Thanks for your help!
    Brian

4. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Well, I'm no expert at all, but I think only by dragging the app into the applications folder, there won't be any files created in the specific folders. Therefore you would need some kind of installer, which would indeed ask for your admin password.

Wasn't there an installer? Again, if you only need this file in the folder go to the terminal and type:

"sudo cp <file> <to-folder>"

It will ask for a password. Try your admin password first, if it doesn't work you need the root one, but I assume from your post, that you don't know about root and then you should perhaps not handle it, because you can destroy a whole lot.

Perhaps someone else is here, who can help you more?

5. brian0526 thread starter macrumors regular

Sticky Brain Install

It said to install, just drag the folder created from the disk image to the Applications Folder. This seemed to create the Login Item to launch Sticky Brain at system boot. But, the Hotkey application that makes the Contextual Menus work doesn't seem to be working. The plugin is supposed to be copied to the Contextual Menus folder, which looks like it's a system folder and it scares me to change that manually since I know precious little about the inner workings of OS X.