another newbie-questions thread

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nukiduz, Jul 16, 2006.

1. nukiduz macrumors 6502

nukiduz

hi there. i'm enjoying my 3 days old intel iMac now but i have some issues i'd like to solve and hope you could help me:
    1. is there any video player with subtitle support?
    2. where can i find an audio and video codec pack?
    3. i want iphoto to import all my photobooth pics to a folder called Photobooth in iphoto automatically. how can i do it? does it mean i'm duplicating the pics and so i have them in two folders?
    4. what's a good window's Pain-like drawing simple program?

i had more questions some time ago but i think these are the most important ones. thanks for the answers and for making MR this good :)

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

1. Get VLC it is a great video app for Mac.
    2. I don't know what you mean by this? VLC, Quicktime, and Real will play most formats.
    3. Probably can do this with a Smart Folder in iPhoto.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, VLC is great and should play almost all the files you want. As for the Paint replacement, try our own robbieduncan's Poster Paint. :)

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

And when you find that I've spent too long in the pub and not long enough on features grab a copy of Seashore.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

6. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

VLC works great but I prefer MPlayer OS X....it supports subtitle as well...

7. nukiduz thread starter macrumors 6502

nukiduz

thanks for all the repplies. those apps where exactly what i was looking for. however i still have the same problem with photobooth. i made a smart folder where all the pics named 'MyPicture-*' were going to be but when you make more than 10 pics with Photobooth, it starts calling the by Pic-*.

8. funkychunkz macrumors 6502a

funkychunkz

Ugg, I hate VLC, it simply gives me an error for absolutky anything. Worked like garbage.

1. Sorry If I'm being a bit obvious, but DVD player and quicktime (when exporting) support subtitles.
    2. A useful codec to have is Divx (a plugin availible on their site), and since MS no longer supports Windows media on mac you should go for Flip 4 Mac (but don't unless you need to, it's still buggy).