Another Newbie

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by robfuscate, Feb 12, 2006.

1. robfuscate macrumors newbie

Feb 12, 2006
    i'm just returning to Macs after some years with PCs. It isn't by choice, just employment change, certainly there are some very nice things in OSX, :) I just have too many useful programs that have no equivalents in Mac to want to change now. :(

My questions

1/. How can I set View As Columns as the default opening view for folders when I open them?

2/. Can I set the columns to 'auto-size' to fit contents, instead of dragging?
  2. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    I can only answer this one.

While in Finder> Finder Preferences> check 'Open new windows in column view

Attached Files:

3. robfuscate thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 12, 2006

Oh, perhaps I should have said that I had this box ticked and it doesn't seem to work... is there some other way?

4. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

Sep 17, 2004
    Alas, no. The checkbox is the only approach, but even so OS X is kind of flaky with enforcing this preference.
  5. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    Finder certainly isn't on the top of my list of what's right about OS X. ;)

It doesn't annoy me enough to try them out myself, but have you considered trying alternatives, such as Path Finder?

6. robfuscate thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 12, 2006
    Unfortunately I am only a basic user, cannot add/change anything :mad:

there are a number of programs out there which would certainly enhance my Macxperience, that i simply can't use.

Anyone any suggestions/advice about this?

7. frankblundt macrumors 65816

Sep 19, 2005
    South of the border
    really? not at all? i thought even in "limited" accounts you could still install applications, just you have to install them into your own home folder (after making a folder called applications) rather than into the system apps folder.
    They can lock the dock too (which is a pain) but i don't think that stops you running apps from your folders directly.
    Or do you mean not allowed by THE MAN? (been there :( ) If your setup is that oppressive, someone's responsible for making it that way - grumble to them about what you want to do. They lock you out of helping yourself, they should be helping you out.

or you could get hold of a system cd and reset the admin password ;) (don't get fired tho)
  8. stridey macrumors 65816

Jan 21, 2005
    Massachusetts, Connecticut
    Try openning a new Finder window, changing to column view, and immediately closing it again.