another noob question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Tall Steve, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Tall Steve macrumors member

When searching I found a lot of info on sharing iPhoto and iTunes accounts but can you share an iCal and address book

Also when I down loaded firefox on my account it does not appear on my wifes account. How does she access firefox?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Sounds like you left it on the disk image (mounted on your Desktop).
    The proper way is to drag it from the disk image to the /Applications folder to "install" it. Then she can open it from the Applications folder.

3. Tall Steve thread starter macrumors member

even after doing that when I try to open it in here account it says that it can not find the location of the alias.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

It shouldn't be an alias...

You should be dragging the Firefox.app icon off the disk image and into your Applications folder.

Attached Files:

5. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

The way I understand it, not all apps are necessarily shared. If a single user installs a program into his/her account, that program won't necessarily be available to other users.

It should be possible to install the app as admin, and set the permissions by clicking on "get info".

I don't share my computer, so I've never had to deal with this - can someone with experience in multiple accounts correct me if I'm wrong?

6. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

Every app I've moved to the application folder is accessible by all users of my computer. Although the 'user', me, has read and write permissions, all others are still given 'read', or rather 'execute' permissions, but not 'write' permissions.

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Apps dropped in /Applications are accessible to anyone and everyone unless the permissions are specifically tailored to lock people out.

8. ddekker macrumors regular

ahhh yes... the old no installer thing...lol.. just more of an FYI, if the program is installed in the applications directory you can run it from other users, all of your info like book marks and things are not accessable to other users, they are hidden away somewhere in your home folder...

good luck

DD

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Typically & Specifically: ~/Library/Preferences/