Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cursorx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2004
Yo all! I know this is just one of the other 15" and 17" threads. But I am confused :)

After reading Macrumors for quite a long time, I am convinced. I need to switch. But I am not sure which one I should choose 15" or 17". The price difference I am gettin' is about 150$ between both and largely I would using the machine at my office as a desktop replacement, and take it for presentations etc.

What should I get? Which one will hold more value, considering the fact that I might want to upgrade two years down the line. Is the 17" too big/heavier than the 15? I would like to occasionaly carry the PB to cofee houses/similar places and work or do some client presentations as well.. would a 17" even fit there?

I don't have access to an Apple Centre here, so the only time I see both of them in real life would be when I am ready to buy it. Each one of the person I have talked to who have had PB's have different opinions.. two die hard guys recommend the 15, and say the 17" is an overkill, and is difficult to travel with and is heavy etc. etc.. Now I had a Compaq before, and I would say that would be bulky.

I would love to get some help :)

paxtonandrew

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2004
I Come From A Land Down Under
Depending on what you do or need the computer for, each size comes into its own. Do you need speed or portability?

Speed; go for the high end 15, or the 17 inch
Portability; go for either of the 15 inchers.

I have a 15 inch, with the 1.33 ghz cpu. I have no qualms wih taking it on holidays with me, or leaving it connected to a 23 inch (old model) screen. It really comes down to personal preference.

Nspace

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2004
Toronto, Canada
I was really pleased with the 15". It was bigger than I thought when I checked them out. Unless your doing work you really feel you need the additional real estate on the screen then the 15" will probably serve you well and give you the added portability.

If it will be only the ocaissional trip where you not using the Powerbook in your office and you want the additional screen space I would go for the 17". The 17" is quite big and I think it is is a little wide for "laptop" usage.

It can be a tough decision but I can assure you, you will be pleased with either size :D

cursorx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2004
Nspace said:
If it will be only the ocaissional trip where you not using the Powerbook in your office and you want the additional screen space I would go for the 17". The 17" is quite big and I think it is is a little wide for "laptop" usage.

It can be a tough decision but I can assure you, you will be pleased with either size :D

Yep. It's tough, and after deliberating for sometime about 17" now I think I should go for 15", so I am swinging. But then how much difference can 1.5" make.. arrgh!

One of my friends suggested using a LCD panel and then spanning a 15" when I am in office.. but I think that's not really a good idea.. I don't want to clutter my desk with all gadgets :)

PieMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2002
I'm struggling with the exact same decision. I currently have the 17" Studio display (that I have grown very accustomed to in the last 10 months-both resolution and size-wise) and I am thinking of selling it and my dual G4 PowerMac and scaling down to a single Powerbook. I used a 14" iBook for my primary computer for a year and a half and my eyes got really tired of the smaller screen...as well as the resolution on it.

I tend to be drawn to the 15" overall, but I have this fear that I've just grown too accustomed to my 17" Studio display and would really miss the extra screen real estate. I prefer a 17" cinema screen to the square Studio display and that can be had with the 17" powerbook. If I could swing it, I would probably just keep the Studio display and get the 15" and have the best of both, but unfortunately, I need to sell both to afford the powerbook.

I would think that either one will hold it's value about the same...after all they are both Apple Powerbooks :)

Of course, ideally, wouldn't it be nice to have the 15" PB with the new 20" display ...? :D

mac_gal

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2004
I'd suggest the 15".

I love taking my 15" PB to coffee shops, but sometimes I'll have to stop somewhere on the way. I don't like leaving my PB in the car, so I take it out of the car and carry it.

A bag holding a 15" PB is a LOT more discrete than carrying a bag holding a 17" PB. Also, your back will thank you. :)

Oh yes, and depending where you go, a 17" may not fit well on a coffee shop table. I've seen one atop the standard round Starbucks tables and it consumed the ENTIRE table space.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I just got my 15" on monday and I love i. Its the perfect size. I can have Safari and AIM open at the same time. It light so I can take it anywhere. Its powerfull. its the greatest lapatop I ever owned. There a few quirks but there are far less then my old Dell. There's no apple dealers near you? Not even a compusa. So you can accually see the difference.

Natalia81

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2004
puckhead193 said:
There a few quirks but there are far less then my old Dell. There's no apple dealers near you? Not even a compusa. So you can accually see the difference.

What quirks does it have? I'm still deciding between the 12" or 15" PB, if I even decide to make the big switch from windows. The closest Apple store/reseller from me is like 1.5 hrs away, which totally sucks!!!

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Natalia81 said:
What quirks does it have? I'm still deciding between the 12" or 15" PB, if I even decide to make the big switch from windows. The closest Apple store/reseller from me is like 1.5 hrs away, which totally sucks!!!

The only thing i find annoying is the trackpad. In fact i spent most of day looking for a mouse...but when i found one i liked they didn't have it in stock :mad: any suggestions?

cursorx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2004
What I am seriously pondering is if there is some one here who bought a 15" then wished they had a 17" or vice versa. As I see it, I am spending those green bucks only once :D

Of late I have been sizing cofee tables!

PieMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2002
Are there any women on the board who have the 17"? Also, I wonder how the size is as far as just using it in your lap in general...Is it uncomfortable or awkward?

Corrupted

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2004
Lewisville, TX
I'm on my 3rd PB. My first 2 was a Ti 500 and Ti 667 DVI and I have a 17" 1.33 now and I definitely prefer my 17" over the others. Trust me the 1440x900 resolution is alot better.

Converted2Truth

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2004
Hell@HighAltitude
I'd go with the 15 incher. But the 17 inch give you more cooking space. I prefer my eggs over medium with a side of well done hashbrowns. Others want bacon and sausage too. With the 17", you can cook everything at once!

Eevee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2004
New Haven, CT
Getting My Powerbook 15"

Like you, I wasn't sure which powerbook to get. But after checking out the 15" and 17" at an Apple Store, I decided to get the 15". The 17" is really WIDE, and a bit heavy to carry when traveling. But if you are not traveling a lot, then get the 17". Or you can get teh 15" and a 17" display!

I just ordered my 15" powerbook (2 gig memory!) and an ipod. The Cram and Jam deal is great!

alanbuilds

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2004
Connecticut, USA
17" !

ONLY $150. MORE FOR THE 17"ER?!?!?!?!! Which one will hold resale value better? -- NO BRAINER -- 17" !

Plus,(and,strangely, I've never seen this mentioned before on the countless 15" vs. 17" threads) the 17" is now the ONLY Powerbook-skinny, paperthin how-on-earth-is-this-possible-oh-my-god-is-this-beautiful! powerbook left. The 15" and 12" have bulked up slightly since the orginal Ti-books debuted as the only <1" full-featured notebook on earth. The others have broken the inch-thin limit, and feel more like normal notebooks. The 17", however, is still pure magic!

I think that the 17" looks & feels even better closed than open, carrying it unjacketed in your hand like the most beautiful, magical art presentation portfolio --- no heavy art work inside, but everything's inside! Holy Ives! --- the rounded edges feel so incredibly great in your hand . . .

Too bad you don't have an Apple store nearby; it's hard for me to imagine someone picking up & holding a 17" in carrying position and not falling at least somewhat in love . . . and for bascally the same price . . .

And now that higher-end digital cameras' resolutions are double or more the resolution of almost any LCD screen, monitor or projector (the new popular 8MP chip in KonicaMinolta, Olympus, Sony, Canon and Nikon point-and-shoots = 3264 x 2448 pixels; while Kodak’s 14MP chip = 4560 x 3048 pixels !!! What’ch ya gonna do?!!), ALL available screen sizes, even the new monster 30" (2560x1600) desktop, are starting to look mighty small!

(That said, none of the notebook screens are as bright as their stand-alone counterparts, if you're thinking of a [expensive] two-monitor solution . . .)

[And, although, in the spirit of complete disclosure, I have to admit, I'm quite happy with my 15" . . .]

Joeytpg

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2004
Vienna, Austria
well......i'm a happy 15" 1.33 owner and i'll tell you right away..............this beauty feel INCREDIBLE!.....and it's awsomely jaw dropping.........but let me tell you.......if i hadn't been short in money......you bet i'd be infront of a 17" incher..........the screen real state is a peace of art!.....magical display........it's an amazing machine!!...and IT'S NOT THAT HEAVY!!.....and c'mon are you the weakest guy/girl around??...

come on man......it's not like having a 30 pound weight in your bag, just make sure you get a good confortable bag or backpack to carry it and that's IT!....

......and jesus HOW small are those coffee shop tables that you guys sit in?....if they're THAT small.....then don't go there man......cuz it's not about having a 15" or a 17" fit the table..................how 'bout those medicine student that have like 5 400 + pages books and still go there and sit with their books to study?.......

so don't pay attention to that man.........if you can.....get the 17" you won't regret it........i definitely don't regret getting this 15" I LOVE IT! (it replaced my 17" CTR PC monitor and PC desktop, and believe me i don't feel the need to go back......BUT.....my eyes ARE definitely acustomed to looking at the 15" and IT DOES feel a little small SOMETIMES! (after staring at it for 2 to 3 hours you feel it's a little bit smaller..... but at the same time i have to say that it doesn't hurt your eyes! heheh so it's magical!

i can definitely live with this beauty, but trust me the 17" is the sweetest DEAL around! :D

you'll be happy either way!.....BUT GET THE 17" if you can! :D

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
If you can afford them both I say definitely go for the 17" PB. I'm biased as that is what I have, but I still laugh when people say it is so huge and heavy. When you compare it to the 15" PB, you really see what little size/weight difference there really is. If less than 2 inches more width, less than one inch more depth and an extra 1.2 lbs makes that big of a difference I certainly haven't noticed it. :D

(HxWxD & Weight)
15" PB: 1.1 x 13.7 x 9.5 5.7 lbs
17" PB: 1.0 x 15.4 x 10.2 6.9 lbs

Actually when I was in the market for a new PowerBook recently, I had a hard time deciding between the 12" & 17" models. I never even considered going with the 15" because I figured if I'm going to "go big" that I should go all the way since the size and weight difference wasn't that great between the 15" and 17". In the end it was very tough passing on the 12" because it's so tiny and light. However, I got such a good deal on a 17" from Amazon, plus the fact that the 17" widescreen is so amazing that I just couldn't pass it up. But of course, everyone has different needs so I hope you end up with the PowerBook that fits you best like I did. :)

kasei

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I too went through the same process in determining which should I buy. I finally settled on the 17" PowerBook and I have not looked back. As far as traveling, I am on the plane 4 times a month and I have not had any problems using the 17" PowerBook in cattle class or business class. I bought a Brenthaven backpack to make sure nothing would happen to it. I have gotten use to the size and find it very practical to use.

I say if push comes to shove, get the most you can for the money you have to spend. The only time I really notice the size is when I pull it out of the bag or when it is sitting next to another laptops.

Either way you won't go wrong. I switched 8 months ago and I am glad I did.

Good luck!

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
I use a 17 in now after just over a year with the 15 in. After a few days use, I hardly notice the increased weight and size of the unit. On the other hand the extra screen real estate (18.5%) is something I notice all the time. :)

Surreal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
The 17 is really just an imposing behemoth.

really

sit in front of a 17 in and think to yourself... when i want to go places with my laptop...do i want to consider the size?

if yes...do it

i am a college student and am aboout(wthin the year LoL) to buy a powerbook.

I greatly appreciate that apple had the good sense to make the high end 15 identical to the 17 in all other areas.

so it actually si ONLY an issue of size. i prefer the 15...because a 17 would die..i am nomadic...and 17 is HUGE.

PieMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2002
After struggling with this decision for a week, I took the plunge and ordered the 17" powerbook (along with the iCurve) from Amazon.com. Both the 15" and the 17" are on sale right now (I saved around $140.00 off Apple's retail price plus free shipping and no tax). Also, they will let you return it within 30 days if you are unhappy with it for any reason minus the return shipping-there is no re-stocking fee as long as it's in like new condition and all packaging is in tact. From an email I received from them:

...As noted above, you can return the computer for a full refund if the
computer boxes have not been opened. This obviously precludes
actually using the computer.

However, you can still return the product if you are unsatisfied
with its performance. If the box has been opened and the computer
arrived in working condition, you will be responsible for the
shipping and handling charges associated with the return.

I've ordered lots from Amazon in the past and they've always been great to do business with...better than average and, in this respect, you are covered in the event the 17" proves to be too cumbersome.

As for myself, I concluded that my eyes have just grown too accustomed to my 17" Studio display for me to downgrade in screen size...plus I've always wanted a 17" widescreen, so now I will have it. :)

alanbuilds

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2004
Connecticut, USA
How to Shrink a 17" Powerbook . . .

Surreal said:
The 17 is really just an imposing behemoth.
PC manufacturers all make imposing behemoths (gosh, that's fun to say!) and sell them as laptop/notebooks. Apple makes thin, light, beautiful Powerbooks.

PC notebooks have slimmed down quite a bit in the last few months, but still look pretty silly next to Powerbooks. Recently, Sony and most other PC companies have come out with their own versions of 17" (Well, actually, they're on second generation). Please! They're like strapping your family's basement TV and a minitower to a handtruck! They're battleships! Just go down to your nearest PC store, take a look, and suddenly the 17" Powerbook will look like a magical, featherweight, almost-not-there object of desire . . .

alanbuilds

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2004
Connecticut, USA
Congratulations!

PieMac said:
After struggling with this decision for a week, I took the plunge and ordered the 17" powerbook . . . I've always wanted a 17" widescreen, so now I will have it. :)
Congratulations!

(Let us know how you like it!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.