Another PC user bites the dust...

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mitthrawnuruodo, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

After long consideration my "father in-law" finally desided that his piece of pooh Compaq laptop (which he got from a pretty shady character as payment for a job) was not fit for internet use. <small rant>Combination of wrong, probably also illegal, Windows XP home install, and dial-up to slow to get AV and adware removers updated properly before the machine went down again... then when I installed SP2 from cd it started ignoring any DNS and I just gave up on the machine, having spend enough hours over it</small rant>.

So, after seeing me and my girlfriend having no problems with our iBook/Pismo he asked us to get him a mac. Last night I made him an Apple Store account and ordered a Mac mini, BTO with 512 MB RAM, and an Apple Keyboard, I think he's going to be very pleased with it. (The only snag: It's not expected to ship until on or before March 23, which is gonna be a long 3 weeks wait, 4 if you count in est. shipping time of 3-7 days...:(). We're gonna pick up a cheap silver 17" LCD with built-in spekers for him somwhere else. Any suggestions of good, but cheap, LCDs...?

But, that's one less PC user in the family, on to working on the next one... :D

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

3. iGary Guest

iGary

Add another - I converted someone a couple of weeks ago. :D

4. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

Surprisingly, Dell flat-panel displays have a pretty good reputation. The 17" LCDs start from 2,774 KR. I don't think built-in speakers are an option though.

5. Mitthrawnuruodo thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

It's actually the second swicher among the "in-laws". We got my girlfriends sister to switch a couple of years ago, and her other sister is ripe, and will probably get a mini in short time (fingers crossed).

My side of the family is worse, though. I had a cousin that switched a couple of years ago, then switched back to a PC... :( But his next purchase will probably be an Apple laptop... :) (...and he actually knows how to take care of his PC and has never bothered me with "support calls" - although I have gotten a couple of calls from friends of his who he has gotten to buy Macs, but that's totally acceptable... ;))

My brother and mother (or rather her companion who uses their Dell desktop the most) are worse, as they still think Macs are too expensive and only for specially interested... (even if my brother's Dell laptop actually costs about 150% more than my iBook, even with very similar specs... ok it's a bit faster playing CM but in normal use it's about the same...)

My brother has discovered iTunes, though, so there is hope... I also has tried getting my mother companion, who's a musician, to try out Garageband, but he keeps saying stuff like 'I already have applications for that', but I'm sure I can get him to consider a Mac if only I get him hooked on Garageband... Any thoughts on how to get his attention...?

6. Mitthrawnuruodo thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Thanks, I forgot to look on Dell's pages... :eek:

Built-in speakers, altough nice, are not required (we can get him som small external speakers cheap elsewhere).

As I see it it now stands between these screens (ironically all but #5 without speakers, altough the Dell one has an optional soundbar, whatever that is...):
    1. Samsung 17" LCD Syncmaster 710V**, NOK 2.141,- (incl. shipping)
    2. LG 17" LCD L1715SS**, NOK 2.198,- (incl. shipping)
    3. ViewSonic VE710, NOK 2.503,-
    4. Dell E173FP, NOK 2.774,-
    5. YuSmart 17" LCD 178MP**, NOK 2.039,- (incl. shipping)
    ** specs mostly in Norwegian

Anyone have any experience with either of these screens...?

7. howard macrumors 68020

howard

since i've been a mac users i've gotten my dad and my girlfriend and my cousin to buy a mac

my dad still uses a pc cause of work but he got a mini to try it out basically.