(another potential) 5G iPod bug

Discussion in 'iPod' started by ignus graius, Dec 11, 2005.

1. ignus graius macrumors regular

Dec 4, 2005
    Something new I noticed with the 5G iPod interface is that if you only have one album by an artist your iPod will automatically navigate to that album when you select the artist name (instead of listing the album and "All" option). This is usually pretty cool; I have a lot of one-album artists and it simplifies the redundant extra click. However, I noticed a bug in this new implementation.

Say I have 13 songs by an artist. Eleven of them are from an album, but two of them are album-less songs (or the album info just isn't tagged). When I select that artist in my iPod, it goes straight to the album without listing the other two songs. Since I don't have the All> option, the only way to navigate to the song is to choose "Songs" and scroll through the 4,000 individual songs until I find them.

Has anyone else noticed this?
  2. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

Jun 29, 2004
    Yeah, sounds like a true UI issue.
  3. Chef Medeski macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

Jun 14, 2005
    New York, NY
    Hmm... wierd. All my songs have albums so I haven't noticed this. Yet, I did love what they did. I hated when I would have to click on one album just to see it, stupid and a waste. I was so glad when I noticed that. Yet, I guess if its that way..well you might hav ea little bit of a problem. Maybe they are fighting back at pirated music? My suggestion is to get all music with no names for albums, just click album in iTunes and they should show up. Then give them all a name like No Album or Other Songs. Problem solved! Very minor glitch.
  4. Daveway macrumors 68040

Jul 10, 2004
    New Orleans / Lafayette, La
  5. ignus graius thread starter macrumors regular

Dec 4, 2005
    I think we might be having the same problem. This only occurs when I have one album associated with the particular artist. If I have two or more, I can go to "All" and the no-album songs show up there.

For example:
    I bought Arcade Fire's Funeral about six months ago. Since this is the only album they have released, it's the only one I own. Two weeks ago (give or take) I downloaded a live cover of New Order's "Age of Consent" performed by Arcade Fire from a forum. This was not on any album so consequently it doesn't have an album tag. If I want to listen to it, I have to go to the Songs list and scroll until I find it.

Another scenario where this would be a problem would be if you recorded a television performance and just tagged it with a song name and "(Live)". It's not really on an album, so you just don't tag it.

Right now, it looks like Chef Medeski's is the only workaround. But having to tag an album-less song with No Album just seems tacky.

As a side note, wouldn't it also be nice if collaboration songs appeared under both of the artists instead of as a separate entry?
  6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

Jun 4, 2003
    Very interesting, it does indeed sound like a legitimate problem. I would suggest reporting it to Apple and seeing if they say/do anything about it in a future release...
  7. maya macrumors 68040

Oct 7, 2004
    somewhere between here and there.
    ::crystal ball reveals:: I see an iPod 5G update soon! ;) :D

Anyone notice this on the Nano.
  8. Pring macrumors 6502

Sep 17, 2003
    Yup, I can confirm this as a problem.

The only workaround I can think of is to label the non album songs as "None" for album name.
  9. iDM macrumors 6502a

Jul 6, 2005
    The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    I have been noticing a few screwing occurrences of going to artists and being taken directly to the song screen while skipping over a few songs as well.
  10. hisshouburaiken macrumors newbie

Dec 16, 2005
    I'm having the exact OPPOSITE problem: whenever I pick an artist, I get taken to the album select screen, EVEN IF THEY ONLY HAVE ONE ALBUM, or even NONE. It's driving me crazy because I don't remember it being like this when I first got my ipod (4G Nano). I don't want to have to pick "All" every time when I don't have to.

Has anyone else experienced this, and is there a fix?
  11. MatthewMac macrumors newbie

Dec 23, 2005
  12. slu macrumors 68000

Sep 15, 2004
    Stop stealing music and you won't have this issue! ;) :D

Seriously, that is a major pain. I don't have a 5G yet, but my bandmates and I do a lot of recordings of demos that we pass back and forth between each other as mp3s and they have no album tag either. That would totally stink for adding these tunes to my iPod for playback at work.
  13. samplesize macrumors newbie

Jan 9, 2006
    Feature or bug? Hmm...either way, it is quite annoying. Naming all my unnamed albums is an effective workaround though.
  14. Kernow macrumors 65816

Sep 30, 2005
    Seems like an imperfect implementation of a good new feature. I never saw the point of navigating through the Album screen if there was only one album. Ok, it's only a second of my time, but quite often it is the little things which annoy the most.

I was pleased when I saw they had implemented this, and haven't noticed the glitch because I don't think I have any albumless songs, but hopefully they will fix this in the next update.
  15. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    One more reason my entire song library is tagged with proper tags, album art, lyrics, etc, etc. It really does make searching songs much easier. Hopefully this bug will be addressed this morning with an obligatory iTunes update!

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]
  16. ignus graius thread starter macrumors regular

Dec 4, 2005
    Well, I was excited about downloading the new iPod firmware update for hopes of this bug being fixed.

I was wrong.
  17. mrbucket macrumors newbie

Jan 26, 2006
    I am having this problem too. It is driving me crazy. Has anyone reported it to apple? If not I will (just let me know jobs' email address) ;)