Another potential MacBook owner with annoying questions...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by edders2000, Feb 27, 2007.

1. edders2000 macrumors newbie

Just wondered if anyone could help me out with a few things.

Firstly how would I go about connecting a MacBook to a Dell TFT screen, is it easy and what cables would be needed?

Then to use it with that screen would I need a seperate keyboard, or would anyone recommend that I get one anyway, I'll probably get a mouse to use with it too.

Should be ordering it next week, leaning towards a white one at the mo, my OCD probably couldn't handle a black mac to be honest!

Cheers in advance if anyone can help.

2. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

if you want people to answer you, you need to tell what are the input ports of your display, don't you think?
    anyway, that's what apple is saying about the macbook video out.
    it seems you need an adapter :D

3. Twenty1 macrumors member

Hey there, no problem on the question...

To connect it to your monitor, you either need an Apple Mini DVI to DVI cable or an Apple Mini DVI to VGA cable. Either cable is 19 USD and is found at Apple's online store: www.store.apple.com

Your monitor either connects to your computer via a DVI or VGA connection. To be honest, I'm not exactly sure how to describe the difference other than a DVI connection is generally larger and has more pins (DVI connections are digital and generally have a better picture than VGA, which is analog).

4. edders2000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers Twenty1.

So then with the MacBook closed would I be able to use it as normal with an external keyboard/mouse?

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yes, I like answering the easy questions!

6. copperhead macrumors member

im doing EXACTLY the same thing. macbook with 22" dell and kb and mouse. when you configure you're macbook, there's an option to include the $19 adapter, you should see it. everything should work simply. (get the dvi adapter if the dell you're getting has it because dvi is better quality)

7. edders2000 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Twenty1 macrumors member

Yes, you can either use it as you've mentioned. I haven't done so yet, but I'm eventually going to buy a wireless keyboard/mouse for the same reason. You can also have the MacBook open which will allow you to span monitors. There's a product by Griffen called the "Elevator Notebook Stand" (I know, what a name) that will allow you to place your open MacBook at relatively the same height as your monitor. This helps to line up your two displays, making it easier to use if you're spanning screens. It's also online at the Apple Store. A stack of books might be just as helpful and less expensive too. :)

9. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

Hold that thought

Never use a Dell product with a Mac or other Apple product. Buy a refurbished Apple Cinema Display. Just looks nicer and better.

10. copperhead macrumors member

is there a reason not to use dell with apple? because dell has some nice monitors if apple's are too expensive

11. cookie1105 macrumors 6502

^^That sounds like complete BS.

Care to explain yourself nazmac or are you in the habit of making sweeping generalizations

12. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

I don't like Dell and Windows. I would only use a PC if it has Linux on it.
    Plus, Dells are ugly too.:p

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Many long time posters on this forum use Dell displays with Apple's (I personally don't btw as I don't have an external but I would go for an even cheaper brand ;)) and highly recommend them, except when you need high colour accuracy (eg in graphic design) as the Apple displays are better for that.

14. cookie1105 macrumors 6502

We would all love to have 30" ACD's but even refurbed they are expensive. Dell actually has some good screens at an affordable price.

Stating your personal preference as a rule
    is just not on.

15. nkadlac macrumors newbie

I currently use the Dell 2407 FPW and it works/looks great. Apple has a bit better quality control on their monitors, but I've never had any problems with the two that I've owned.

16. edders2000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Has anyone got a link to the adapter and/or cable I need, can't seem to find it in the Apple shop.

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It depends on whether your TFT is VGA or DVI, but you to search for mini dvi to vga or mini dvi to dvi depending on what your monitor is. ;)

The direct links are here (VGA) and here (DVI)

18. edders2000 thread starter macrumors newbie

This is all set up and works like a dream now. I love having the extra desktop space the external monitor brings.

I've found the Mac really easy to get into over the last month or so and I haven't had to force quit once yet! It all just works.

I'm loving my first Mac :D

Cheers for the help people.