another powerbook dilemma

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Wally, Jun 10, 2005.

  1. Wally macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2005
    #1
    I know i wanna wait for the new intel powerbooks... this is a given.. but i also wanna buy one for my first year in college... a friend is offering to sell me his 1.33 ghz, 60 gb hd, combo, 128 vram powerbook for like 1200, good deal? anything i should know about this model powerbook like ram capacities?


    any help u could give me would be appriciated
     
  2. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

    sw1tcher

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2004
  3. weg macrumors 6502a

    weg

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2004
    Location:
    nj
    #3
    $1200 is ok if the PB is in good condition (I assume you're talking about the 12" PB). I had one of these PBs myself, and it even has an advantage over the current 1.5GHz Powerbooks: The fan is almost never running, while it seems to run all the time on my new Powerbook. So, the Powerbook you're about to buy is really amazingly quiet.

    If it's equipped with only 256MB of RAM, get additional 512Megs from Crucial. If you need a DVD writer, you can buy an external one that is superior to the Superdrive.
     
  4. Wally thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2005
    #4
    the specs i know are 15 inch, 1.33 ghz, combo, 256 ram, 128 vram, panther, ms office, 60 gb hd ,,, no apple care :(

    i think i might offer 1000... i bet he will take it
     
  5. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

    sw1tcher

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2004
    #5
    If he'll go for $1000, that'd be a very good deal.
     
  6. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2004
    Location:
    New York
    #6
    I would pay $1200 for that machine, but if you can get him down to $1000 it would be awsome. You'd be getting such an awsome deal. Just pop in some more ram and you have a killer machine.
     
  7. Wally thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2005
    #7
    does anyone know the specs on those machines? such as if its a 5400 rpm hd, or if it can go to 2 gb ram?

    thanks
     
  8. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

    sw1tcher

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2004
    #8
    It's probably this model PB which means that it's got a 4200rpm HDD and the RAM can be upgraded 2GB (max).
     
  9. Wally thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2005
    #9
    so do u guys think i should buy this guy... wait a year with it... then get a intel mac... think thats my best option?
     
  10. Cybernanga macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2004
    Location:
    Essex, United Kingdom
    #10
    Get it now, if you need something new next year, look around then and see what's on the market.

    With computers, playing the waiting game never works, as there is always something new just around the corner.

    Get what you can afford now, and deal with the future when you get there
     
  11. Bern macrumors 68000

    Bern

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2004
    Location:
    Australia
    #11
    What's your friend's number? Hell I'll buy it :D

    It's a really good purchase and will last you for quite a few years to come. I say get it.

    Let us know
     
  12. DJY macrumors 6502a

    DJY

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2003
    Location:
    Canberra AUST
    #12
    I'd definitely add extra RAM to it!
    Talk him down to $1000 and use the cash you are saving to buy extra RAM!
    My PB loves RAM and I'm running 1GB on my 1.5GHz 17" PB I bought mid last year. From reading several forums over the past year... there are alot of very experienced and knowledgeable Mac users that have encountered problems with several of the Rev A products (any first new product release) and they often recommend waiting for the second release...

    Using that principle you might want to wait for any second Powerbook styled product with the new chips in them.
     
  13. roadapple macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2004
    #13
    I think it only has 64 vram, the current 15" pbooks are the first to offer 128 vram?
     
  14. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2002
    Location:
    Los Angeles
  15. FRRYY macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2005
    #15
    Ok, so I'm new to apple computers, but I figure the principle with most computers stays constant.

    But wouldn't you WANT the fan to operate if the laptop is getting hot? A little noise from the fan would not bother me at all, if it meant it would cool down a sensitive piece of equipment as a laptop?

    Someone inform me if I'm incorrect :)
     
  16. roadapple macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2004
    #16
    My old TiBook sounds like its going to take off for mars in the "high" fan mode.

    G4 laptops are much nicer in the winter :)
     
  17. Wally thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2005
    #17
    anyone think i should wait till august to see if powerbook prices drop? or specials?
     
  18. sjjordan macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2003
    Location:
    United States
    #18
    There's a special right now. At apple, you can get a $100 off discount in ADDITION to your edu discount.

    If i was you, I'd go with your friends for $1000. It sounds like your going to be getting an intel-PB next year anyway. Don't wait. Buy your friends to tie you over till next year... Who knows, you might just stick with his.
     
  19. Lunja macrumors 6502

    Lunja

    Joined:
    May 15, 2005
    Location:
    Lincoln UK
    #19
    I think he meant the 12" PB's run cooler... :)

    I'm in this dilemma too- Should I get a bottom spec iBook to tide me over until the Yohan PB's are out, or get a top spec 15" PB so that the resale in a year will still be good, or just wait...

    Grr - had just about figured out what I was gonna do, then along came 'that' keynote... lol
     
  20. roadapple macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2004
    #20
    That won't be, unless OSX goes platform independent. The resale on a PPC will not be good. While a ppc mac may last you 2-3-4 years if your willing to use your old software, you can not expect a buyer to pay good $ for an old platform.
     
  21. Lunja macrumors 6502

    Lunja

    Joined:
    May 15, 2005
    Location:
    Lincoln UK
    #21
    Hhmmm... So which laptop do you think will have the least depreciation? I could see he PB still being worth £1100 (£1500-ish new) when the Intel Macs come out... After all, it will still be a good machine for a college student/amateur film maker etc to use... I suppose it all depends on the price of the Intels when they are released.

    Sorry to take over the thread btw... $1000 sounds great for such a laptop. Converts to around £600 here (very roughly) and I'd expect to pay £900 for it
     

Share This Page