Another (probably dumb) question about Airport.

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by frescies, Feb 26, 2003.

1. frescies macrumors regular

I have a dsl connection... The usual PPPoE connection that requires a login and password. Do all versions of the Airport base station (including the old graphite one) handle a PPPoE protocol and can they store a password like modern day home/soho broadband routers (I had a linksys cable/dsl router that worked very well with PPPoE DSL)? I might be wrong but I was under the impression that Airport base stations act like DHCP routers... They do right? They can allow computers to share an internet connection by making their own logical domain with private IP addresses like a linksys right?

If not all the Airport basestations can support PPPoE, which versions can? I want to pick up a cheap used one but I want to make sure that it can support PPPoE.

Any feedback would be appreciated :D

2. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I do believe that all Airport basetations have supported PPPoE.

And yes, they do have NAT integrated so you can share your internet connection, all of the "snow" or white (not the graphites) base stations have a LAN port that you can connect a hard-wired machine or hub to while still sharing the connection.

3. frescies thread starter macrumors regular

Ok Ok...

Got another one....

Will pcs equiped with a wireless 802.11b card be compatible with the airport base station? I know that airport cards are compatible with all base stations that support 802.11b but are the base stations compatible with pc cards?

4. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Any 802.11B card should be able to access your base station.

5. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

Yes, just remember to name your base station something simple, probably with no spaces, as it will become the SSID that you need to input for windows machines to access it.

6. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

802.11b is a standard. that means all hardware that is built to that standard, regardless of vendor, works together. kinda like light bulbs and lamps.

7. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

I just bought a graphite base station from smalldog 'cuz it was so cheap. Thought I could network my mom's imac via ethernet w/ my ibook over airport. I was stumped when it wouldn't issue an ip using NAT (messed with Airport base station setup quite a bit). Rats. Wish I had known this sooner.:( :(

8. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

The problem there is that the graphites only have an ethernet-in (WAN) port for connecting to the internet via ethernet. But, to clarify, they do have NAT, but only accessable by machines connected wirelessly.

9. frescies thread starter macrumors regular

Ok OK...

Yet another question! (god, you guys are great!)

I just bought a wireless router by SMC on ebay (damn good price, and I couldn't pass it up) and I am wondering about the wireless. It has all the specs I need (plus a built in 4 port switch) and I am wondering If I can connect to it for the first time with my airport card, or if I have to connect with a cable and program it that way before I can connect wirelessly.

Will the airport software automatically pick up the signal from the router and let me connect to it for configuration purposes or will it need to be configured via a patch cable each time it is reset because it is not an "Airport" base station and cannot be configured with the Airport setup utility? I imagine that I can connect to the router without using the setup utility (i also imagine that the setup utility wont work with it) and configure all of the settings through its "setup page" (like configuring a lynksys) IN OTHER WORDS... will the base station recognize the signal from my airport card as though i had pluged my computer into its ports?

If anyone knows or is using airport cards with a non airport base station, let me know :D

David

10. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

usually attach via a wire... got to 192.168.1.1 or whatever... config it... and you are set.

for me... turn on DHCP (easier for win or linux users to connect), and set the number of max connects to 3 or whatever... that and turning off any ports u don't want to be used.