another reason for the iraq invasion?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Dec 26, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i was reading this LA Times article, Little Room for Error in Catching a Missile, when i ran across this paragraph:
    it's clear to me that missile interception technology is a bush pet project, going so far as to back out of the ABM treaty. i believe there are several reasons bush wanted to go after iraq (which is nearly a non-overlapping set for how it was sold) and imo having an iraq-based anti-ICBM site can be added to that list.

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

So we add another $250 billion to the cost of SDI, do we? Preparing the ground, as it were. Sounds like an expensive option. If you can't secure a mess-tent, how the hell are you going to protect a missile battery?

3. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

it's a question of priorities: ministry of oil, yes. national museum, no. high-tech missile batteries, yes. grunts, no.

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Well, it certainly wasn't about WMDs or ties to Al Qaeda. Couldn't have been all about oil. Well... it could have, but that seems kinda simplistic. This makes about as much sense as anything else I guess.

Between the Bushs and Reagan, they sure do seem to be working on something big. Makes you wonder, what are they working so hard to prepare a defense for? Considering how much they dropped the ball on 9/11, me thinks they can't see the forest for the trees. They spend so much time guarding against some unseen nuclear threat (or alien invasion :eek: or something), that they can't see the details and real threats that face us.

Either that, or this is just an excuse to give money to companies like Halliburton to waste on projects that go no where and don't work. Like the other recent missile tests that failed so miserably. Reminds me of that movie on HBO awhile ago where they spent years and a ton of money on some tank that didn't work either.

Your tax dollars, hard at work.

5. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox