Another reason to own a mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by skubish, Mar 28, 2005.

1. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Just realized a great reason to buy a mac: so I don't have to provide free tech. support for my Windows using friends and relatives.

This occured to me yesterday as I was spending 8 hours trying to figure out why I can't install XP on my father-in-law's computer. I never did figure it out.

If I had a mac whenever someone asked for help, I would just tell them I don't know wants wrong, I own a mac.
    :)

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

When you DID need help with your Mac, you'd come here :)

Macs are also, historically, easier to troubleshoot. I think this is largely due to the logical way Apple designed the Mac OS (9/X) GUI and file structure.

3. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

I've been waiting for Longhorn, even though I never plan to own a copy -- the XP box is getting kind of old, and when it gives out, in comes a mini.

Why?

Because then I can tell people I haven't used Windows since XP, do you really want me to fix your computer?

4. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

God, I know exactly what you mean. The past few days everyone I work with has been asking me for help with this or that on their PC's, and it's gotten to the point where I've just been telling them to sell the PC's and "Get a Mac". So much easier than dealing with the hassle.

5. panphage macrumors 6502

6. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/frustrations/388b/

they got lots of cool shirts at thinkgeek. One day I'm gonna splurg and order like 5.

As for tech support yeah I play that game with my mom. She called me up one night crying because she tried to upgrade to Winblows XP and was like "why won't it work! the computer people said it was easy! I'm so upset blah blah blah" and all I could tell her is "windoze sux, sorry"

I think I've got her convinced to purchase a Mac when her machine finally dies.

7. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

oh come on I have that beat. My mom has woken me up at 5 am one morning because the printer would not print. I got up walk into the computer room bent down and plug in the printer into the computer (not like it being a mac would of help her out at all) and went back to bed never had to say a word. Mind you I almost instastly knew what it was when she told me since I kind of unplug it the night before to print somethign off my laptop. I gotten a lot of those morning tech support things during my hs years. 90% of them was not due to the OS but something stupid like a setting or something she hardly ever does. SHe learned really fast not to ask what I was doing at that time in the morning since I was using short cuts and I was already kind of edgy about having to get up, She would wait until she got back from school (she is a teacher) to ask me what I did and I would show her the way to do it with out using short cuts. She not the most techacly inclined person. After about 3 years I got her pretty well trained to now when I get a question it means it going to take me some time which is a good thing since I am off at collage 9 months out of the year. She already got her 2 bonces years while I was in Jr collage.

I felt quite happy when I went home for thankgiving and their was very little work that need to be done to the computer. Now when I go home for the summer I have some upgrade work on it that will be needing to be done. I am hoping the replace the computer so I get a nice linux box to play with :D

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

What a fascinating story, Timelessblur. Your role in your family is similar to my role in my own. Substitute a PowerBook for that Windows PC, and "I can't sync my phone/PDA" (or some other issue) for "the printer was unplugged", and you've got my story.