Another reason why society is stupid.....

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by saunders45, Oct 4, 2004.

1. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

Jul 29, 2004
  2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    Supid? Na, that's just plain ignorant or moronic. Last time I checked Bush *was* a president and John Kerry wasn't....

Amazing that people would actually complain about that and a teacher would lose their job over it. Bush will be in the history books, regardless on how good a job he's done. I don't like him all that much, and I'd never complain about posting a photo of him next to the other presidents.... :rolleyes:
  3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    I don't like Bush, but he is the President, and always will have been president, so if they have a wall of presidential figures, it's only right that he is up there.
  4. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    Oh, this is rich. Doesn't matter who you support for president, this story is outrageous.

Do parents think that the teacher is trying to influence the election by hanging a picture of the current president in the schoolroom? Along with other presidents? These kids can't even vote.

At what point do educators stop bowing to every parental whim and focus on educating our children? This principal should be suspended or fired for his actions, which call into serious question his judgment.

What, now we can't teach history during an election year?
  5. saunders45 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jul 29, 2004
  6. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    this is retarded i swear some parents are nutz
  7. saunders45 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jul 29, 2004
  8. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    There seems to be such great vitriol in our country. They should remember that one is controlled by the object of their hate. My prayer is that we will return to being one country again, committed to a common cause. As Abraham Lincoln said, "A divided house cannot stand."
  9. kgarner macrumors 68000

Jan 28, 2004
    I wish people would stop and think just a little before they act. This is absolutely stupid. You can't put up a picture of the President because he may be unpopular with the parents. :eek: This is just too stupid for words.
  10. G4scott macrumors 68020

Jan 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    This whole situation angers me, and just gets me to thinking, what'll they do next... What kind of parents would complain like that? I'd be embarrassed if mine did while I was in school. The parent's supposedly wanted "both sides" up on the board, but I'm sorry, there's just one side to the truth. The teacher should've printed out a picture of Dick Cheney and stuck it right there next to Bush's picture. When Kerry wins the election, his picture will go up there, but he has yet to win. The bulletin board was not about the upcoming election.

I can't believe how outrageous this whole thing is!

One woman questioned the teacher's support for President Bush, saying "he's killed people." But has she conveniently forgotten that the man whose picture she wants put up, is the man who has admitted to killing in Vietnam? Does she not know that he brags about the medal he got for killing? While some may argue "Bush's policies have killed people", he himself, has never killed anyone.

We need to be concerned about these "concerned" parents. If something as dumb as this can get a teacher fired (although I'm not quite sure if the teacher's been officially canned), what will happen next? Will a teacher get fired for making a kid write a page of W's, just because the kid can't write them correctly?

Some people are so outrageously stupid, I'm beginning to wonder how they got along far enough in life to reproduce...
  11. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

Dec 18, 2003
    I'm for Kerry this year, but this is just plain stupid. If you are putting up pictures of a representative sample of presidents whatsoever, leaving George W. Bush out is just plain wrong. Take him down when he leaves office if you want, and put Kerry or whoever up instead, but out of respect for the presidency if not the president the portrait belongs there.
  12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    @ least the banner at the bottom of the page is funny too

Attached Files:

13. sonyrules macrumors regular

Oct 26, 2001
    Thats just, I dont even have a word for it. If i was the teacher, I say screw her boss, And post Bush picture all over the place. I dont care for either one of the canadates, If all the other president are up there, Then Bush needs to be too. Besides, Is'nt that our right of Freedom of SPEACH AND PRESS??
  14. rueyeet macrumors 65816

Jun 10, 2003
    I'm no Bush supporter, but I agree with the general comments. Last time I checked, the "equal time" rules didn't apply to kids' classrooms. If you're putting up a wall of presidential portraits, then a portrait of Bush is perfectly appropriate. A portrait of Kerry isn't, unless he wins the election.

People will get upset over anything. :rolleyes:
  15. MacMarino macrumors member

Jan 31, 2003
    Tokyo, Japan
    Stupidity doesnt cut it!

These parents need to go back to school and be reeducated. There are just some people who have a mental block of some sorts and cant tell the difference between stupidity and ignorance. Its too bad that the teacher has to deal with this now. I feel sorry for her.

16. Ugg macrumors 68000

Apr 7, 2003
    All I have to say is where is the picture of Al Gore....
  17. agreenster macrumors 68000

Dec 6, 2001
    Walt Disney Animation Studios
    Remember when there was a huge push to get parents involved in their child's education? Major backfire. Major.

Americans are getting more dumb by the minute.
  18. oldschool macrumors 65816

Sep 30, 2003
    is it just me or was that article really poorly written?
  19. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    I will say that I support Bush, but if Kerry was president and Bush was running against him I wouldn't demand Bush's picture next to him...unless he won the election.

The average IQ of humanity=42
    On a good day.
    If you get lucky.
    And some nutjobs don't get involved.
  20. crazytom macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2002
    Wouldn't it be funny if she was the political science teacher!!

First, the complaining parents are morons. The facts are the facts. Now if she put up a Bush in 04 sticker, that'd be a different story. Also, being a teacher, odds are that she'd be a Kerry supporter. There are very few fans of the underfunded No Child Left Behind law among teachers.

Second, the vice principal and principal are your typical, run of the mill, knee-jerk reacting administrators that always assume that the parents are always right. It's not necessarily their fault, that's what they're programmed to do. :rolleyes: They probably got confused with the zero tolerance laws that require them to not think intelligently about the situation....
  21. Diatribe macrumors 601

Jan 8, 2004
    Back in the motherland
    I love these stories. These are the things I love about America, the insane rule this country. Seriously though, as much as I love being in the States these things (among others) would definitely keep me from raising a child there, or at least putting it into a public school.
    I know there are exceptions but there are so many stories liket that it's not even funny any more. Not to be political here, but the freedom of speech now is only worth what you can pay for in compensation in a lawsuit. It's sad. And on the opposite people are trying to put creationism in schools, which has no substancial scientific backup as opposed to Bush being President, which is a fact (at least if you did not read the vote counts over Gore :D ). What have the States become? Not the same place anymore.
  22. OldManJimbo macrumors 6502

Jun 1, 2004
    California Coast
    My daughter is a high school senior - taking an AP US Govt class.

The students are not allowed to discuss the presidential campaign. The teacher has been told to not discuss the campaign and what it means to the US GOVERNMENT, until after the election.

Funny thing - they are allowed to discuss politics in her AP English class.

The freaking inmates are running the asylum.
  23. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    This is unimaginable - aren't our schools the places where kids are supposed to grow and learn? How can the administration put forth policies that would restrict students from discussing current events? When I was in school, we used to hold "mock elections" in which we would "vote" for who we wanted to be president. Guess that wouldn't go over so well now...

What's next - can't talk about the current state of the economy in business class?

I'd start a petition if my school tried to pull off crap like that (my kids are currently too young right now - preschool isn't really a political hotbed) - our children should be allowed to discuss/debate current events.
  24. saunders45 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jul 29, 2004
    It just goes to prove my point that people in general are mindless, stupid drones. These are the same people who take anyhting they see on tv as fact. Whether the President Bush, John Kerry, or freakin' Michael Moore, just take what others say as gospel without even thinking about checking the facts. So in the end, it always turns into a finger pointing 3 year old screaming match.

This is why our country is goin' down the tubes:
    Dem vp hopeful John Edwards cut to the chase last night on ABCNEWS NIGHTLINE:

ABC'S BOB WOODRUFF: "He has avoided the kind of negative attacks that can make national news, although recently, he has stepped up his rhetoric."

SEN. JOHN EDWARDS (D-NC) (clip of a speech): "I'd say if you live in the United States of America and you vote for George Bush, you've lost your mind."

WOODRUFF: "There's been criticism that you have been too soft."

EDWARDS: "Do I seem soft to you?"

Plain and simple name calling
  25. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Feb 14, 2004
    As someone who despises George Bush and hopes he's ground into the dust of history November 2nd, let me add my feeling that this is an idiotic situation. In the context in which the teacher is hanging the photos -- the succession of American presidents -- there is no issue here.

That's just stupid partisanship on the part of some Bush haters. Dumb, dumb, dumb.