another REV? thread

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Kyle Nerder, Nov 9, 2005.

1. macrumors regular

Kyle Nerder

Hello,

I just bought a used G5 PowerMac. Got it from someone on eBay. I have a tracking # and it does show it's weight. So I know I haven't been scammed. Unless they filled a box with bricks. LOL:p

the description said.
    PowerMac G5 2.0ghz
    512mb ram
    expanable to 4gb
    ATI Radeon X800 w/256mb ram
    160gb HD

Is this enough to tell what revolution it is?
    I am way too pumped for this machine. My iBook G3 has been a trooper for 3 years and I wanted some thing to keep up with todays complex life style. My iBook wouldn't even play music vids from iTunes.

Also I think I got a good deal on it, but I want some one to burst my bubble on what its really worth.
    THaNkS

2. macrumors G3

That sounds like the previous revision. I'm basing that on the video board option and the 4GB ram limit on the system.

3. macrumors member

I thought the previous rev was expandable to 8GB? :confused:

4. thread starter macrumors regular

Kyle Nerder

don't worry, I am confused too. I am not worrying and I bought the thing....Sometimes people don't know what they are selling. I am feeling lucky anyways. I couldn't afford to put 4gb of ram at it anyhow.:cool:

5. macrumors 65816

Josh396

Not the dual 2.0.

6. macrumors G3

Only the 2.3GHz and 2.7GHz system. In that rev, the dual 20GHz has a different motherboard.

7. macrumors 65816

joecool85

Right, making it a rev C box. Mine is a rev B, the prior rev where the 2.0 had 8gb capabilities and PCI-X.

8. macrumors 68000

9. macrumors 601

andiwm2003

since it's a new processor, a new gpu, a new logic board, a new layout of the whole interior i guess we should start at REV. A again.

10. thread starter macrumors regular

Kyle Nerder

Perhaps someone could make a list. Oldest to newest of PowerMacs. Listing processors, ram, video cards and other options to show how the computer has progressed.

None of this really matters to me as long as I have reliable & fast machine. I'm sure that won't be a problem since I am coming from a 3 year old iBook.

11. macrumors regular

I don't know what revision of PowerMac my school has, but it is 2ghz dual proc and expandable to 8gb of memory.

12. macrumors G3

Try here for that info.

13. thread starter macrumors regular

Kyle Nerder

I finally got my hands on my PowerMac G5 2.0. It is soooo nice. and I haven't even turned it on. LOL

The lady never shipped the dvi to vga adapter. It is so had to look at it and not use it.

Originally I was told that the memory was expandable to 4gb, but after opening it I see a total of 8 slots. so I guess that means 8gb max memory.

another disappointment is that it came with a combo drive. I didn't know the 2.0ghz was available without a superdrive....oh well. I started another thread asking what superdrives can be installed.

Going to the Apple store today and getting the vga adapter!