Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ruzzian

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2005
Southsea, UK
I had a quick look through existing threads to see if my problem had already been sorted (and I really apologise if it has and I didnt see it) but I upgraded to OS X (10.4) last week and also installed two new 512Mb Ram sticks, upgrading my ram to an obvious 1Gb. This is all on my Powerbook G4 1Ghz 15''

So here's my problem;

Safari 2.0 (and now 2.0.1) WILL NOT open at all... I click on the icon, it bounces a few times in the dock, the tiny black arrow appears and then disappears straight away. Even when I hit reopen it doesnt open. Ive been having troubles with Safari updates since I installed 1.2 when if I closed a pop up window, or any window, the whole thing would crash. So i just kept reinstalling earlier versions cos I couldnt be hassled with the crashes.

The thing is, I tried removing my presets from preferences, and it made no difference. But then when I created an additional user to test safari out of my user space with none of my junk, it worked fine! So I went back to my exisiting user, removed all preferences from the preference folder, restarted and tried safari 2.0.1 again... and it didnt work still. Can anyone clear this up for me, or at least suggest what I need to do to sort it cos I really like Safari (when it works). :(

I only know limited things... that whole preferences fiasco I did was on the phone with a apple techie... :rolleyes:

ifjake

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
i remember having this problem because i had acidsearch installed on my machine, which is some kind of extension that modifies the search field capabilities. once i removed it from ~/Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins (or wherever it's located on your machine) and reinstalled the new version Safari and the plugin worked fine.

ruzzian

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2005
Southsea, UK
ifjake said:
i remember having this problem because i had acidsearch installed on my machine, which is some kind of extension that modifies the search field capabilities. once i removed it from ~/Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins (or wherever it's located on your machine) and reinstalled the new version Safari and the plugin worked fine.

I dont seem to have that on my machine... cheers for replying though! I really have no idea what to do, cos it is really doing my head in. It must be something I have installed that is affecting safari cos as I said, it worked fine in another user. I just dont know what I'm looking for. :confused:

ifjake

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
well it doesn't have to be that program specifically just something in that same category of stuff. there were more than one of these things that could cause Safari not to launch. check that path i listed above to see if there's anything there. ( "~" means your home folder) that's my guess. maybe someone else here knows a little more.

iDM

macrumors 6502a
I for the first time since i have had a Mac have started getting Safari Crashes, after one of these last updates. Seems to happen when i have a bunch of tabs open and i am bouncing between them all. I'm afraid it's gonna happen when i am in the middle of writing a very long email. Not since Tiger but one of the 10.4.X updates or Security Updates anyone have any ideas??

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
iDM said:
I for the first time since i have had a Mac have started getting Safari Crashes, after one of these last updates. Seems to happen when i have a bunch of tabs open and i am bouncing between them all. I'm afraid it's gonna happen when i am in the middle of writing a very long email. Not since Tiger but one of the 10.4.X updates or Security Updates anyone have any ideas??
You mean it crashes your whole system? Or just Safari?

Some people have reported Safari crashing their whole system lately, and the solution is when the symptoms start occurring, to turn off AirPort or unplug the ethernet cable. The everything goes back to normal.

ruzzian

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2005
Southsea, UK
I did all that guys. I deleted stuff out of Internet Plug In's folder and i even tested deleting 'everything' out of application support. Its still didnt work.

When I say it crashes I do only mean Safari. My system stays ok. Anymore ideas?

ruzzian

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2005
Southsea, UK
All sorted!

I have no idea what i did exactly, but I found an extra com.apple.safari file using spotlight, and it was located within the Safe Preferences file. I deleted that, and deleted my normal com.apple.safari file in the Preferences folder, again. I restarted, and it worked. So I guess it was that extra file which I had no idea about. Thanks for all your help though.

Rob

iDM

macrumors 6502a
Heb1228 said:
You mean it crashes your whole system? Or just Safari?

Some people have reported Safari crashing their whole system lately, and the solution is when the symptoms start occurring, to turn off AirPort or unplug the ethernet cable. The everything goes back to normal.

Only safari crashes, my sytem is fine. I get the box saying it unexpectedly crashed, and do i wish to "Reopen" or "Cancel"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.